E4OD worsening problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

E4OD worsening problems

The problems in my E4OD are worsening. Its in a 1990 Bronco w/302. Sometimes when shifting into drive or reverse (when the Bronco is sitting still) I get a loud clunk as drive or reverse engages. I know this is a common problem with E4ODs, but the clunking has gotten to the point where I cringe everytime it happens. Its getting much louder and I have begun to hear 2 or 3 "clunks" when it happens. It feels like the tranny is gonna just fall out. But it doesnt happen everytime. Sometimes it wont clunk, sometimes it will. Any reply will help because I know NOTHING about trannys. One more thing, I have a slow leak coming from the bell housing dust cap, but the fluid is not reddish like tranny fluid. Is it tranny fluid? When I check the fluid level on the dipstick, its still red....but yet the leak that seems to be coming from the tranny, is black

Thanks
Roland

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: E4OD worsening problems

1) Are you sure it's the transmission that is clunking? U-Joints will give you a similar sound when shifting into forward, or reverse. Put the Bronco in park, and go under it, and try turning the driveshaft. Look for slop in either the front or rear joint(s) in the shaft. I'll bet it's your front U-joints near the T-Case.
Another clue to failing U-Joints is a squeaking that increases in frequency with RPMs, until the sound disappears around 15 mph. Have you heard this sound?
2) You are probably witnessing engine oil leaking from your rear main seal. The natural leak path will make it drip from the inspection plate on the transmission. They're a treat to replace with the engine in the vehicle...NOT.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey thanks! I think you are right about the Ujoints. I have heard them squeeking alot under there, I just didnt think about how they are possibly causing the clunking. One more thing...How can I figure out what Ujoint it is? I dont wanna have to replace all of them (im broke right now)

thanks
Roland

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2000, 11:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The U-joints for your drive shaft are not that expensive. Not more than $45 for all three. And believe me, if you are going to replace one, you might as well do them all at the same time. If your vehicle has seen a lot of wear, then you will need a press or big vise and appropriate sized sockets to press the U-joints out. Then can be a little of a pain. It just takes about an hour at the most to get the job done.

Because if one U-joint went bad, then the others took the abuse, too.

Technoman

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2000, 09:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The front two on the rear shaft suck to do. With it being a CV joint, you need patience and a bit of expertise. I agree that you should do all three at the same time. I paid around $18 a piece for heavy duty joints. Check with a gagrage in you area and see what labor would cost to R&R them if you brought the shaft in. It may be worth it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode