bronco lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2000, 02:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

bronco lift

could i lift a bronco with add-a-leafs and longer shackles in the back?
How many inches?
How could i lift the coils in front without lots of $$?
how many inches?
Thx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: bronco lift

You can use add-leafs in rear, and coil spring spacers in front. The most you can get out of this, is about 2". Any more than this, and you need the drop-down brackets, etc... for the front. and blocks of new springs in the rear. As far as rear shackles, on an 80's and up, a longer shackle will LOWER it. I think it's the same on the 78-79. I'm working on a new shackle for the rear that will "hang" from the bracket instead of standing up.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Please fill out your profile so we will all know what year Bronco you have.

'79 and below - A lot cheaper and easier to lift. Longer front coils, new radius arm bushings and dropped pitman arm for the front and blocks for the rear.
'80 and up - Longer springs, axle drop down brackets and pitman arm for the front and blocks for the rear.

Depending on what state you are from, you also have to see what "Big Brother" has to say. State DMVs are limiting the amount of lift and also how you achive that lift.

Did it go together nice and easy? You did something wrong.Will have to do it again.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
DaveC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2000, 11:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Please do yourself ,and possably others, a favor and don't cut corners on a lift. Been there, done that and all it did was make the truck dangerous and hard to handle. Looking back at those years I am surprised I never wrecked, but I had to be on my toes and "drive" the truck. As stated, 78,79's are cheaper to lift then 80 and newer ones. An add-a-leaf will work for the rear, they generally come with up to a 4" lift. 78 and 79's you can use degreed C- bushings but I seriously recomend drop brackets. Not much more, but more then worth it when it comes to handling. For post 80's the only way to go are with drop brackets. Please try not to go for economy when it comes to lifts. Money wise it really isn't much more to do it right, but it could come with much larger costs.By the way, the 78 I had had a 4" lift with drop brackets, and with 35's it handled like stock. Had a little stiffer suspension that made it more stable (at least in feeling) then stock. When I whent with 38.5's it road well to, however liked to follow the grooves when the swampers wore out. That was just tire realated though.
Sorry for the ramble but just from experience from my own and friends lifted 4X's I just don't want you or anyone else to make a mistake over a few bucks.
Trust me, you will be a lot happier doing it "right"
Thanks for the time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode