questions on my 302 to 351 engine swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

questions on my 302 to 351 engine swap

I have a 1988 bronco and recently swapped the 302efi for a 351efi. The mechanic said it was so big deal. I have found later that he did not really know what he was talking about (having that engine rebuilt as I type). My question is, he said it had a AOD tranny. I have found out now that Ford did not put the AOD with the 351 engine. Is this something I am going to have to change out or is it okay with this set up? It seems to drive okay with the AOD but I dont want something to all of a sudden go bad due to this set up. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. If I do have to change out the tranny, would the C-6 be better than the E4OD? I have heard the E4OD is not that strong of a tranny. I don't do that much traveling, but when I do I am pulling a Jeep. Is the AOD strong enough to handle this, or would I be better with some other tranny?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 11:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: questions on my 302 to 351 engine swap

First I have some questions. 1. What year vehicle did the 351 EFI come out of? 2. Did you get the ECC out of the donor and put it in your Bronco? 3. What type of tranny was in the donor? 4. Why is the engine being rebuilt?

Now to answer your question about the different trannys. I have the E4OD in my '91 SAE Bronco. It is a rebuilt one, because the first one went out. And rebuilding an E4OD yourself is no joke. You need all sorts of special tools, and know how. Where as a C6, and C4 tranny is pretty fundamental.

The E4OD does not have any adjustment you can make to it for shift points. It is all electronic and controlled by the ECC and various sensors. The only thing you can do is by a transpac from Jet Performance or B&M, which only makes it shift a little harder. But does nothing for the shift points. I have the one from Jet installed in mine, and it cost twice as much as the one from B&M, and is no different.

The C6 has a tougher shifting quality to me (a friend of mine has it in his F-100) and handles abuse better I think.

As for the AOD I know nothing, but heard it is no better than an E4OD. And if I had it all over to do again I would have installed a C6 and forgotten about electronic shifting. Just something else to go wrong. But then again I do not know if a C6 can just drop in a Bronco the once had an E4OD.

You will have to figure out what your 351 came out of and then find out what tranny it had. Either way you have to have the ECC to make the engine work. A 302, 5.0 ECC has different program codes in it and will not work with the 351.

Hope I was not too confusing.

Technoman

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 01:36 AM

JET E40D

JET makes the best E40D rebuilt transmission ever. Heard it is just as strong or stronger than a C6. Only con is price. Lots of $$$$$$$$ to buy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, Jet Performance does have a totally new E4OD tranny. I mean knew from the inside out. All of the Ford flaws worked out. A

fter getting the lock converter and adding freight you have invested over $3300.

Now that seems a little steep to me.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I asked my mechanic and he only told me that the block he ordered was a later model block. He seemed to think that the AOD would work just fine. The reason I had to get the engine rebuilt is due to some [email protected]$$ putting water in my tank and the entire engine locking up after me trying to start it the next morning (must have been a jealous Dodge or Chevy owner). The chip came out of a PU with a C-6. My mechanic said that the vehicle that the ECC came out of did not have a elctronic tranny so it should not matter about what tranny the Bronc had. Hope this answered any of your questions...Thanx for the help so far.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2000, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ditch the AOD. There is no other way to put it. These things make good door stops and just about nothing else. I rebuilt mine 4 times before coming to my senses and throwing it as far as I could. The E4OD sucks too(even more so for the E4OD-E), but is WAY stronger than the AOD. If at all posssible, go with the C6-it can truly be built bullet-proof, and has almost limitless options.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode