TOTALLY NEW IGNITION SYSTEM - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2000, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TOTALLY NEW IGNITION SYSTEM

I have a 86 300 I6. I replaced the old carb with edelbrock 600 cfm. I lost the exhaust manifold, and replaced with headers and dualled it out. The problem is no advanced timing. It will not advance since I have not throttle position sensor, O2 sensor, or anything else. So the computer thinks it is at idle all the time. It is receiving no information from the sensors.

I know some of you guys have replaced the old distributor with a duraspark II compatable one and done fine. I want to replace the ingition system TOTALLY. If I have to go to turn key like a race car, so be it. It must be vaccum advance.

So what do you suggest? Mallory, Jacobs. It must be 6 cylinder compatable. Thanks for the help.

headers on a 6 banger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TOTALLY NEW IGNITION SYSTEM

Mallory builds a distributor for the straight six. You can get it with or without vacuum advance. You can add any buzz box or coil you want to it. works like a regular distributor.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 02:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I replaced the EEC III that was in my Bronco by simply changing the dist. control module and the wiring harness. All the replacment parts came from a donor truck that had a duraspark II system.The old computer is still in the truck but no longer hooked up and most of the wiring is now gone. The truck now runs great. Everything pluged right in and works great. That was on a 302 but I would not be surprised if you could do the same type of thing with a six cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2000, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info... I had thought about that... How/where did you hookup the power supply to the duraspark II ignition? I have a old distributor off of ebay. I can get the box at the store. Where do you jack in the juice? Thanks.

headers on a 6 banger
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2000, 05:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

In my situation the box pluged right in to the wiring harness in the same location as the old box. I replaced the harness to the dist. from the box with the one that came of the truck that I took the system from. Remmember I took the whole thing off one truck, including the dist., box, and wiring harness. I would recomend that, you can get all the parts from a salvage yard or some place like that. Don't forget that there are about six or eight different boxes out there, none of which interchange. You need to find out what box you need, or you can use the one for the vehicle that you are taking the ignition from.
I hope this helps you, good luck.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2000, 09:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Do a search on the ShortWheelbase board for Duraspark .....and you'll get all the answers to your questions. A guy name Aaron (TeamRush) is an expert on everything there is to know about them. He's in the hospital right now.....but he had many great posts on the topic.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode