Bronco Body Removal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bronco Body Removal?

I've been thinking of replacing the quarter panels on my truck, fixing rust on the doors, little rust here, little rust there, body work, etc... it started to add up and I decided if I am going to do that much work, I might as well start at the bottom.

Has anyone removed the entire body off of a Bronco before? I've seen it done to just the cab of an old chevy pickup with nothing more than a block-and-tackle off the top of a barn. Could it be possible to do the same to a Bronco body with only a barn and block-and-tackle?

Obviously there are many things to disconnect, like brake lines, electric wiring, steering linkage, parking brake, transmission / tcase linkage, any engine part attached to the firewall or interior fenders.... etc. Has anyone attempted this themselves? How long did it take?

My main goal is getting the entire frame blasted, cleaned, and painted to help protect the frame and prevent future harsh New England rust. Is lifting the body worth the effort? I suppose I could clean and paint the frame from underneath but I won't be able to get access to the entire frame and it will be much harder working upside-down. Should I take the body off or not? Or am I too concerned about the frame? should I not bother with it? I am not a serious off-roader, but I do plan on keeping this truck for a while.

Suggestions, ideas, or comments? I could use any information or advice. Also considering the costs to have this done professionally (price?). Mechanically, the truck is in great shape, just rusty... only 90k miles, everything works fine, the interior is in perfect condition, and the body is mostly good... good paint (new paint after ford recall years ago), many new parts, ... and I really like the look of the early 80's rigs, so I would much rather fix this one up and stop the rust problem than to buy a new one.

(info if this helps: 86 Bronco XLT, 302 EFI, AOD trans, BW1345 T-case, stock height & suspension)

please post your opinion,
thanks

Matt
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bronco Body Removal?

Rifraf,

I'm thinking of just taking the chassis and running gear and xfering my Ranger body onto my 81 Bronco. If you think you might be
interested in the body let me know.
Couldn't see where you are located from your profile.

Denny

After Roadracing I use fourwheeling to relax.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Denny,

I'm located in New England... in and about both Boston and Hartford areas. Thanks for the offer. Other than the replacing the rear quarter-panels, the body work that needs to be done isn't too bad.. I just have to work on the the doors. The rest of the truck is in great condition so I'm not really interested in replacing the entire body. Most of the body work I feel that I can do myself.

How are the doors on that 81 Bronco body??? Any rust? I would be very interested in getting a new pair of doors!!! That would save me a lot of time in body work.

My main concern was really about the frame and if I should do something about it before its too late. I'm still debating if I should just go all the way to remove the body and clean the frame from the ground up. Or clean and protect what I can of the frame from underneath with the body on.

Thanks,
Matt (aka riff-raff)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 12:59 AM

Riff-Raff,
What about using aftermarket panels and doors for your truck? I did my 81 over with mostly aftermarket panels. It came out rather well and i spent under 800 bucks for everything. I replaced both complete doors, gate, quarters, fenders, hood, and some other misc. panels. They fit pretty well. If your interested I have a set of almost rust free doors from an 84. Complete with all internals P/w P/l. I live just south of Boston. I will be away until Sunday but email after that if your interested or need more info on other parts.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2000, 05:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am from the Salem MA area and I just bought a 1985 ($100 - bad body and blown motor) that has a really beat body and once I stick the new engine in I am yanking the body (I work in a shop so having the lift makes it easy). I am going to try that POR15 stuff on the frame. I think frame off is the only sane way to do it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where can I get more info on that POR15 product you are going to use?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have never used it, but, from other posts on other boards it looks like the best bet.

www.porstore.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode