HELP!!! Oil leak on REBUILT 351M!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2000, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HELP!!! Oil leak on REBUILT 351M!!

Hi, I just rebuil the engine on my 79 Bronco. Everything went together fine and it runs great except there is a oil leak from the back of the engine. Thought it was the rear main seal so i replaced it. Still there...it is a strong leak too.. constant stream then is on the backside of the engine on the driverside, it pours right onto the driverside header too. what could this be?? thought it was the oil pressure unit...but all is dry there. Did install a high volume oil pump..has 80 ibs of pressure when cold and about 40 when warm..thats how it used to be when the truck was new so i doubt thats the problem. only thing i think of is was there a plug on the back of the block that the machinst might have takin out when hot tanking it and never put it back in??? thats all i can think of..please help..i wanna take my truck for a drive!! thanks

<font color=blue> "Loofer" </font color=blue>
<font color=red>'88 Banshee</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2000, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP!!! Oil leak on REBUILT 351M!!

The first place I would check is the valve cover. When I rebuilt my heads and put everything back together on my '91 5.0 Bronco, I noticed that I had a tremendous oil leak from the back of the engine.

I was so damn worried that I did not set the head gaskets right, but it ended up that my valve cover gaskets were not sealing. It was because the metal/rubber valve cover gaskets did not fit perfectly under the valve cover lips.

Anyway, I would check the valve cover for the leaky problem.

Hope that was your problem area.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2000, 11:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Could be the rear cam plug, don't know if the Modified has this but the Windsor does and seen some leak from there.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Andy, I'm curious, where is the rear cam plug located on the 351W? Is it in the back below the lower intake?
AAM

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes below the intake on the back of the block just above the rear main. looks like a freeze plug

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I once rebuilt an amc v8 and had the same problem. I am not sure about the 351 but it was the back most freeze plug. To look at it, it seemed fine. It cost about $4 and the problem was fixed.

chris
92 Bronco
7" lift, 35's

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Guys..i found the leak..had to pull the engine again..it was the two allen head screws next to the cam cap...the machinst took them out when hot tankin the engien and didnt tighten them down. it was my fault for not double checkin it bolts..oh well i learned my lesson and by the way..my truck runs great

<font color=blue> "Loofer" </font color=blue>
<font color=red>'88 Banshee</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode