want rear discs on 93, what axle and where? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2000, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

want rear discs on 93, what axle and where?

Well, these drum brakes really suck, and that's all there is to it. All the rear disc kits I've seen are very $, so I figured it's probably easier just to find a rearend that already has the discs on it. While I'm at it, I'd like to go with a 9", 10.25, or whatever is strong enough to tromp around with 38" tires this summer when I lift the beast. Also, would a Dana 60 be easy to put on the front for more strength?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 05:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: want rear discs on 93, what axle and where?

You can get a rear disk at TSM for $250, it includes roters and caliper brackets. You can install calipers with or with out parking brakes. I found the calipers at a junkyard for $15 a side with all the hardware, I used the parking brake type. I think this way would be alot cheaper than an axle swap. There # is 303-688-6882. Skip will answer any questions you have.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I seen that you were thinking to swap your rearend, which I imagine is an 8.8? As I have been told by Ford, the rearend cannot be swapped, due to the speed sensor for the Rear Anti-Lock braking System. If you look at your axle where the drive shaft connects, look above and to the right and you will see your RABS speed sensor. Which the 9" does not have.

So, doing what Sabbath suggests would be your best option (which is what I am going to do).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2000, 01:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sabbath, what diameter are the disks? Also what kind of caliper do these use (and diameter of piston)? Just curious 'cause I will definately be swapping out the drums on my '95 this summer. Also will this affect the operation of the rear ABS? Damn, that's a lotta questions, whoops.

MILDOT

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2000, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The phone number for TSM is 303-688-6882. They are located in Castle Rock, Colorado. Skip can answer them questions better than me.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2000, 04:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your ABS tone ring is attached right next to your ring gear, and if you plan on keeping yer ABS, then a custom 9" will have to be made for you. I also read on Randy's Ring & Pinion's site (ring-pinion.com) that all ford trucks with the LCD odometer use the tone ring/ABS system in the rear axle for the speedometer/odometer. The guy I talked to there (while discussing gears, lockers, etc) also mentioned Stainless Steel Brakes in upstate NY (Between Batavia and Buffalo), and their kits being well-designed and easy to bolt on. They usually run around $500. The 8.8" rearend is pleanty strong enough for most applications, anyway. And, adding the disc brakes to the rear will hold the axle in place if you snap one of those 31 spline axles. (Not that likely unless yer runnin some largely sized tires.)

1994 Ford Bronco XLT - 302cid, E4OD, 32x11.5x15 Dunlop Rover RV, Rancho RS5000
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2000, 06:14 PM

Lots of possibilties

You can do a number of things to get rear discs brakes. The easiest, would be a rear disc kit. Stainless Steel Brakes sells a kit, as do many other manufacturers. You can also buy a rear full floater kit from Warn, which offers a disc brake kit with it. Not only does it make the 8.8 stronger, it makes your Bronco stop faster. Dynatrac makes custom front and rear ends, which would be the most extreme setup. I have heard of them making Dana 60s, w/disc brakes, and compatible with the ABS system. Dynatrac without a doubt will be the most expensive too. I've also heard that the 10.25 fits and is ABS compatible without much modification.

If you are going to upgrade to a bigger rear end, you need to consider some things. The Dana 60 and Ford 10.25 have 8 lug hubs, which means you need new rims and tires most likely. Your front won't have the same pattern as the rear also, so you would have to work around that too. With all that beef in the back your weak link will be the front, so you will probably want to upgrade the front also. If you are upgrading anything for strength your first priority would be upgrading the front, since it is weaker than the rear. I will probably go with the 8.8 full floater kit later on, because I am going to stick with the TTB front end since I bought a Superunner Steering Kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode