351W-HO Which Intake? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 07:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

351W-HO Which Intake?

Hi All

I have a 1986 351W-HO in my Bronco... which Edelbrock intake is good ? Performer ? Perfromer RPM ?
I eventually plan on hopping up the heads and cam etc, when I do a rebuild... want a manifold now though..

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 02:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 351W-HO Which Intake?

Which of the Edelbrock intakes largly depends on where you want the power to come in at on the RPM band. Most truck engines want low end torque. Power from idle to about 5000 RPM. The Performer manifold is designed for this power range. The Performer RPM and Victor Jr. are for power bands that start at around 2000 and go clear to 7000 RPM. Most stock/mild built engines won't see that high. They will float a valve first. I feel you will get the most bang for your buck by getting the Performer manifold. It is a dual plenum with long skinny runners best suited for lower RPM power.

Remember that cams have a working range as well and that needs to be matched with the manifold. If you get a low range manifold and a hi range cam. Your manifold will be past its power point before the cam starts to work. With the Performer manifold, I would choose the Edelbrock cam part number EDL-2182. This cam is rated at 204 degrees duration @ .050" lift and has an intake lift of .448" .472" on the exhaust. This cam and manifold are matched together by Edelbrock to get the most power in this RPM band.

Good luck, Eric

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2000, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 351W-HO Which Intake?

Thanks.. sounds good.. I am actually keeping my original holly carb.. .I heard its 600cfm and runs great if built right...

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 04:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

600cfm Holley Carb

That is the same carb I run. It works real good once you get jetted correctly. There are so many things to adjust, that it takes a while of driving to figure out what settings improved throttle response. One problem I have found is fuel slosh. Do something drastic and fuel either runs away from the jets or sloshes out the vents in the top and into the venturi's. Either way causes a stumble. I have found a way to greatly reduce this. Get spring loaded seats, put a screen in front of the vent in the bowls, and run a piece of tubing between the primary and secondary vents. Now put a tee in the middle of the tube and run a second tube off it and out of the air cleaner to vent the bowls. You can now adjust the float level to get more fuel in the bowls and keep the jets submerged. And when fuel sloshes out, it won't run down the venturi's. It does have a possibility to run out the tee and that is why that vent tube off the tee has to exit in a catch can or safe place. People can get these things to run damn near upside down this way.

Eric R. Tachell

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2000, 11:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 600cfm Holley Carb

Hey I have a question about the factory holley 4bbl. Is there a better carb to replace it with that doesn't have the fuel slosh problems? Like say the Edlebrock 600cfm? Mine needs some work and I am not very experienced with carbs. I was thinking it would be easier to buy new than to fix mine. What do you think???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode