Off Roading Forums banner

Bronco SNORKEL?

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Shovel 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody out there has made a Snorkel for their Bronco. I'm heading for the trails of Northern Michigan this weekend in anticipation of deep water and lots of mud! My 88 Bronco always ends up getting water in the Airbox when I go muddin' (no matter what I've tried). I have tried using flexible ducting to cause the air to be drawn from different areas under the hood. I've tried everywhere, and I always end up getting water in the air intake. The necessary speed, combined with the fan always completely soaks the entire engine compartment thus splashing water into the air duct I made and causing the engine to barely run. Anyways, I'm tired of removing the airbox at the end of each big mudhole and drying out the box and filter. I've bought a supply of PVC tubing and elbows and I'm gonna make a real snorkel. I was wondering if anyone out there has already done this and has any advice to offer. I appreciate your help.

#3 ·
Those ARB kits are over 300 bucks. I don't think ARB makes one for Broncos: Only Jeeps and Toyotas as far as I've seen. You're right: you can make one with PVC. That's what I started on last night. I got out the Sawall and went to work. I Should have it done by tonight. Hopefully, it's not too ugly.

#4 ·
I've seen lots of those toyota guys run them from the airbox into the left fender, and then point the opening downward back near the firewall. I have a similar setup, except mine uses ducting from a clothes dryer...and it works perfectly, except those hoses aren't waterproof, just splash resistant. However, one important note is that if you're using the stock little flexy hose that connects to the airbox, you must put some silicon sealant around it or else water will splash up the bottom of the airbox and get all over the airfiler, everytime.

Also, I assume you're going to be in deep water, so if you haven't already run breather lines up from the differentials, transfer case, and trasmission, you might want to do this, or else change your fluids after you go through something deep.

One final thing, I saw a CJ's fan blade go right though the radiator in deep water, so keep in mind that if you're that deep in the nasty stuff.

G
#5 ·
See: http://racedesert.com/jeep/fullsize/ifsjawaterproof.htm

Also, has anyone adapted a M 37 set-up to a Bronco yet?
Some racers route the tubing inside the cab and mount the air filter there.
Good luck,
Al
78 Bronc Ranger..351M, 4 speed..ruster rear panels/gate..for sale again @ $1200.00..Southern New Jersey....runs great! 4" Superlift..custom rear driveshaft by Dick's...cracked windshield, pass side...many new/rebuilt parts
96 Bronc..daily driver....
adios amigoes!

Al

Attachments

#7 ·
Thanks for your input, guys. I "customized" my Bronco by adding a nice-sized Snorkel (it's about 6' 6" High). I also removed my computer and sealed it completely with Silicone. I have a vent system that goes to the top of the hood's level. Anyways, the Snorkel worked great: I went through lots of deep water last weekend with no problems. An electric fan would be a good idea for deep water. I'm thinking about getting one those. If anyone wants the dirty details on my snorkel: let me know. Later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.