Loose Steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2000, 06:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Loose Steering

My 87 has 33x12.5 on it and the steering is really ...not loose just REALLY easy. I can turn lock to lock with my pinky and turn corners with it also.
I was wondering if there is any way to help stiffen up the steering so the pot holes in DC wont let me oversteer so much.
Any help will be considered. Also, I don't have a lift on it if that would help any.
Ed-d87

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2000, 08:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Loose Steering

The sector shaft adjustment screw on the top of the steering box is the only adjustment. This screw tightens the top bearings. It is difficult to adjust properly. My suggestion is to tighten it 1/2 turn and see what happens. It should tighten up your steering, but overtightning will ruin your bearings. If there is no slop in the steering, you may not want to adventure this direction. In that case, you should buy a Steering Stabilizer. You can get a Rancho setup for under $60. It should help with the pot holes.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2000, 06:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

33\'s and no lift???!!!

Do you off road it? Are your fenders trimmed? I didn't think they would fit... Anyway, My 88 with 31's doesn't even steer that easy! You may have the toe-in adjusted to make it drive straighter and not react as quickly to steering input. A good alignment shop should know what to do. I'm not sure if the Broncos came with different steering ratio options or not, but if they did you could swap steering boxes for the lower ratio. I wouldn't complain about the steering being to easy though!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2000, 11:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 33\'s and no lift???!!!

I had the same problem with my steering once, and it was due to the adjusting screw being tightened too much. All I did was loosen it a little and lock it down. Now it works perfect.

As for a steering stabilizer, get one put on after you adjust the steering, and then make adjustments as necessary. It will help with the potholes. I have the Rancho Single Shock one; the dual should only be used if you go up to 35-inch tires.

Hope you get the steering situation worked out.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2000, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm running 33x12.5 tires with no lift. They fit fine. They rub a little on the radius arm at full lock but this is no big deal. The tires come pretty close to the lip of the fender when fully stuffed so it's a good idea to roll the lip back, but no trimming is required.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 06:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only problem I have with the 33's is when I try to full turn backing up the tires just rub on the front bumper...I still have some adjustment left on the bumper that i'll try to get to some day. Here is a pic of mine.
Ed-d87

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14-1332-Bronco.jpg (41.3 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode