HELP! My other Truck Just Won't Start - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

HELP! My other Truck Just Won\'t Start

Hey Guys: I know that this is BRONCO PAGE, but I already posted a message on the Jeep Board and got very little feedback: my question was on page 5 after only half a day. Anyway, I'm hoping that some of you Bronco Experts can help me with my Jeep Problem. I've got a 91 Wrangler with a 4.0 (Multi-Port EFI) that refuses to start. It cranks fine. I checked Fuel Pressure: 39 PSI. I checked for spark at the end of each Plug Wire (they all checked out). I measured the resistance on each of the 7 wires (they all checked out). I checked the Coil's Primary and Secondary Resistances (they all checked out). I checked each plug (they all look good and smelled like fuel). The Rotor turns, so it's not the a broken Timing Chain or Distributor Gear. The Cap is dry and un-cracked (almost new Cap, Rotor, and Plugs).Am I missing something? The Jeep had been running a little rough for a few weeks, then after letting it sit a couple of days it refused to start. I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 01:47 AM

Re: HELP! My other Truck Just Won\'t Start

Hey, I don't know much about jeeps but maybe it could be starving for air. Hows your air cleaner and intake hoses/box? Do those things have a mass airflow sensor, could be that. Also the injectors could be malfunctioning. I once had a simalar problem on an F-250 with Holley Projection. I was getting good fuel pressure, actually a little high, when i measured it but after the gauge was an additional fuel filter that was clogged completly. changed that out and the truck ran great. my two cents. Goodluck

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 08:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just taking a stab at it...
The only times I've ever had wet plugs was because of an ignition malfunction, and cranking just brought more fuel in from the carb. Sometimes I took each one out and sprayed it with Gumout, then let dry before putting them back in. Wet plugs wouldn't fire. The few times in many years I've seen this personally, were all caused by intermittant ignition problems. Not saying that could be the only reason, but thats all I have seen. But they were all carbs, no FI. A simple major timing test would be to go TDC on cylinder #1, and see if rotor points to the correct terminal, just in case the chain slipped some links.
Let us know what you find, we can all learn! Thanks and good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 08:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just another thought. You are getting spark, but can you tell what color the spark is? You may not be getting enough to fire the engine.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 09:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

it comes down to fuel or fire. i think the plugged fuel filter is a good place to start.

headers on a 6 banger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode