Spare Tire Rack - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spare Tire Rack

Question for everyone. What size tires are you running on your swing away spare tire racks? Are they on steel or aluminum wheels? I have the factory spare on there now and since it doesn't match the size of the rest of my tires, I could be in trouble if I actually have to use it. The new spare is a 33x12.5 R15 BF Goodrich on a 10" aluminum wheel. I need to know if the rack mounts on the truck bedside and tailgate can handle the extra weight. I will build a new rack to handle the size, but am thinking of using the origional mounts. Give me your feedback and opinions, please. Thanks for your time and help.

Eric R. Tachell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 01:30 AM

Re: Spare Tire Rack

Eric, I carried a 31 10.50 15 on a steel rim on mine for about 6 years. It eventually fell off! I think that the wieght and size of anything bigger than stock is to much. The carrier is strong enough but I dont think the body is. The lower mount more than the top was destroyed on mine. Then again the truck was very rusty and rotted. I think over a long period of time it will do damage. But, where I'm from the quarter will rot out faster. When I did new quarters I went without it. Going to the bumper is the best way to do it. I am going to make one to fit in my receiver hitch. On board air and a plug kit can reduce the need to carry a full spare, temporarily anyways. Just my opinion.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 08:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been carrying around a 31x10.5x15 on a factory rim for 8 years, and I found two problems (maybe common?).
1) the weight of the tire makes the rubber bump stop at the bottom of the rack rub the paint off after a period of time.
I fixed that by screwing a piece of 2"x3" stainless steel at the rub point.
2) When I repainted the body last Fall, I noticed a hairline fracure of the quarter panel just below the right rear tailight. I attributed that to thin metal from
stress when the panel was stamped at the factory, because the metal was very thin there. Looking at the first post to your question, makes me
wonder if the crack was induced by extra weight of the spare. I guess I 'm still leaning towards the fracture being caused by a worn die, but it may give you something to think about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been running a 33x12.5 R15 for 3 years now with no problems except one. The tire now sticks out past the bumper. Last April, I was rear-ended by a Ford Ranger. The bumper was never touched. Unfortunantly the grille of the truck struck my spare tire doing $3000 worth of damage to the rack, tailgate, and rear quarter panel. I would rather have replaced the bumper than all the hassle I went through getting all the damage fixed. Also, the lady that hit me didn't have insurance, so I was stuck with paying the deductable and a rental car for the two weeks it took to repair. After that I have thought heavily about putting the tire inside the vehicle. Something to think about.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Eric, stay with the stock rim (use it only for emergencies). I installed a rack with all the internal brackets when I re-painted by Bronco. Ford has probably the strongest set-up I've ever seen. But it wont hold up to the weight and movement of the the larger rims and tires. In time, you'll end-up damaging the rig. Hope this helps.
AAM

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am running a 35 inch tire on a 10" steel wheel and have had no problems except an annoying squeeking. I just wrapped the joining parts in shop towels and the noise stopped

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 01:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think the sheet metal damage happens faster if you do more off-roading. I have a 31 X 10.5 on a steel rim, and I have a bicycle carrier that fits over the spare as well. No problems except squeaking and rattling. To cure that, I upgraded my stereo.

NormSpeed
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all of your help and opinions. Enough people said they had problems with weight and size. The first spot to go with everybody seemed to be the sheet metal at the mounts. This is what I was afraid of. I decided since my truck is rusting out from under me anyway, I am going to go with fiberglass bedsides and front fenders. (The bedsides will have Dzus fasteners for quick removal when the serious 4 wheelin begins.) I also designed a rear bumper that holds a swing away tire rack. This bumper and rack will be able to hold the weight. Thanks for the information. Going with my origional plan would have been a nasty mistake. Thanks again, Eric.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another idea...

You could always put the tire on top of the truck on a carrier. I plan on doing this. I'll probably mount it over the cab so that I can still take the top off.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oznet\'s Idea

Oznet:

That was one of my first thoughts. Unfortunately, the truck goes in the garage often and a carrier on top won't let it fit. I thought about quick releases for the carrier/cargo rack, but I couldn't get it off and on alone. Designed and built a quick release setup for my buddy's rack on his truck. It worked great when we lived next door to eachother. Thanks for your input. Everybody has been great. I did design a great bumper with a swing away tire rack on it. I will post the plans when I finish measurments and let you know who I got the idea from. Thanks again, Eric.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode