Tailgate replacement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 04:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tailgate replacement

Hello all, I own a 1988 full size Bronco. I have had it since new and it is almost at the 200,000 mile mark.My tailgate window has stopped going up and down. I have removed the access panel and according to the chilton manual, there is a manual release bar in the tailgate. I do not see one. Is there a trick to getting the window down? I am trying to determine if it is an electrical problem or if there is some sort of mechanical problem.( Rust, Water damage to the motor) The bottom of the gate has the typical norhteast rust on it. Does anyone know how to test the taigate motor for electrical problems? I do not hear the motor turning. I also did not blow a fuse or see any bad wires in the tailgate. Is ther any way to bypass what looks like a safety mechanism that keeps the tailgate from opening unless the tailgate is closed? Sorry for the lengthy post.
Thanks in advance .
Ron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tailgate replacement

There is a safety switch on one of the side latches. It prevents the window from going up or down if the tailgate isn't closed. You need to close the latch to simulate a closed tailgate. Then perform a check on the electrical. Unfortunantly I have not messed with the motor and have not experienced how it all works. Try to hook 12v directly to the motor.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 10:50 PM
Taylor

I'm not sure if this will help but I'll post it anyway....I had trouble with my rear window once due to lifting the handle with the window down a little which caused the window not to move at all with the key or switch.
I ran two wires from the cig. lighter wiring all the way back to the two wires at the top of the motor in the tailgate(I exposed the two motor wires, but didn't cut them all the way through).
Then I touched the "jumper" wires to the exposed motor wires (reversing of the "jumper" wires on the motor wires causes the window to go up or down).

Hope this helps...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 03:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In order to get the window down, remove the tailgate access pannel from inside the truck. Inside the tailgate, disconnect the rear-defroster connections and apply them to the window motor. Go to the front of the truck, and turn on the defroster to roll the window down! (if it doesn't work the first time, swap connections and - on the motor to reverse the direction.)

Now that the window is down, you can open the tailgate. Do the same procedure as above to raise the window half way. Unbolt the glass and slide it out. Now you are ready to find the problem. Check the connections into and out of the tailgate key switch. Also check all the tailgate wires. There is one that runs along the bottom of the tailgate, If you have rust, this one is highly likely to be corroded and should be replaced.

Important note: Power to the tailgate window is sent through the interior dash switch before it is sent to the rear key switch. This means if there is a problem with your inside dash switch, then neither switch will work. If you seem to be getting absolutly no power into the tailgate... Check this by removing the divers-side taillight, there should be a couple connetors there. One is the defroster, the other is a multi wire harness for the tailgate window. Disconnect it and probe all the pins for power, if you are absolutly reciving no power, then your problem probably lies within the interior dash switch.

I've taken appart my tailgate more times than I can count!.... I finnaly decided to replace all the wires inside the tailgate. The best of luck to you. Let me know if you need any further info on fixing the problem.

riff-raff

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks! That's a neat idea using the Rear Defroster wiring. I'll have to remember that, 'cuz sooner or later...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You're welcome! I discovered that trick out of desperation the day I was packing to come home from college.... guess what? The window would not go down!!!! I was stuck on campus with NO special tools, NO wires, NO crimpers, NO testers, NO money, NO NOTHING! I did have a screwdriver, pliers, and tape. Let me tell you, getting that access panel of the tailgate while inside the truck WITH the inside mounted spare tire on a hot day was not fun at all. I needed voltage to the window.... and I needed it NOW!!!! Thank heaven for rear defrosters!!!!

riff-raff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode