Power windows - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Power windows

I have a 1989 with power windows and the driver side window is messed up. The window will go down fine untill the last couple of inches, but the window will not roll up without me helping it by pushing up on it. I was wondering if the problem is that the window has come off of track or is the motor bad in it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Power windows

The motor is bad. The plastic parts inside get eaten up. Could not even tell what mine used to look like, it was that bad. New motors run about $70.00. Its not too bad to replace, but still a pain.
Good Luck

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 02:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You dont need to buy a new motor. There are plastic parts inside the motor that break up over time. Remove the motor, open it up, and clean out all the broken plastic pieces inside and all the old grease. Go to a Home Depot and pick up 3 nylon spacers (1"x3/4" I think, measure the empty space inside the motor to make sure). I think they only cost around $0.49. Put the new spacers in the motor, pack it with grease, close it up, run it for a while, open it back up and regrease, close it back up, and reinstall it. Its a quick and easy job.
Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 08:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Awesome post! Ideas like this make people like you heroes in my book. Quick and easy. The only thing I would add to the other guys is to lube the tracks for the sliders. A sticky track helps to destroy nylon parts fairly quick.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 08:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cave, I think we're all assuming that when your window gets stuck, that you can still hear the motor running, as long as you hold the switch down. If so, then the 3 projections on the nylon spur gear in the window motor gear case broke. The nylon spacer idea works good! It's quicker than the way I used to do it - JB Weld output gear to the spur.
A little more info on the guts... The motor shaft has a worm gear on it, that turns a Nylon spur gear. In the center of the Nylon spur gear, there is (used to be!) 3 projections molded into the spur, that transmitted power to the clover leaf shaped back of the metal output gear. Those 3 projections break off over many years of use, and it turns into sort of a weak clutch, instead of a direct drive.
The 3 cylindrical spacers (3/8 or 1/2 diameter, I don't remember either!) must fit in the space between the underside of the metal gear and the inside of the Nylon gear. If you make them too long, the metal gear won't seat all the way down, and the gearcase cover won't fit tight.
Be advised, filing or sawing Nylon takes a while, so you might want to clean out the grease and take it with you to the store to get the spacers. I should have!
I learned the spacer idea right here on the Bronco Board!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The nylon can be cut pretty easily with a hacksaw. If you're not into fabricating parts you can get a replacement drive gear set at a good parts store for around $20.00. I've done the nylon spacer thing with all 3 of my power windows and none have broken a second time.

NormSpeed
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 07:54 PM
Neckfitter

I used the nylon spacer trick in my 86', they were 1/2" x 1/2".

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Darn.... I just replaced the Plastic drive gear, $20 bucks the other day... oh well.. if it goes again.. I get spacers!!

Peace

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode