Power Window Switch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 03:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Power Window Switch

I have a 1987 Bronco. The power window switch on the passenger side only works to put the window up, but not down. I removed the door panel to check it out. I removed the switch, cleaned up the connections and put it back. This made no diffrence (it still wont work going up) so I guess I just need a new switch, right?. The problem is after I put the switch back, now my drives side window switch wont work in either direction (for the drivers side, it works for passenger side in both directions). What did I break? I know it is still getting power because if I use it with the key in the ON position, the battery guage goes down a little.
Thanks for your time.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Power Window Switch

I'm not familiar with the exact electrical connections or wire diagrams of the door window switches, but I have done extensive work on the interior dash and rear tailgate window switches.

The rear tailgate window key recieves its power from the interior dash swtich. Power to operate the rear key switch is only provided when the interior switch is in "neutral" position. This prevents a cross connection of both "up" and "down" signals at once. This means that a faulty interior switch could make it seem as though the tailgate key swtich is broken, when in fact it may not be.

If the door switches are anything like the tailgate & dash switches, then I bet the problem lies in your divers side door switch and not the passenger side. This would make more sense since the drivers swtich has control over both windows. If the drivers side has a poor or broken connection, then power may not be sent to the passenger side. This would also explain why your inspection of the passenger side switch seemed to be ok.

Again, I don't know much about the door window switchs, but before you go out and buy a new passenger side switch, I would seriously consider that the drivers side may be the switch at fault. Also, the drivers side switch is likely to recieve more wear and tear than the passenger side so it seems likely that it would break before the passenger side does. See if you can find a wiring diagram in a repair manual to check the connections.

Hope this helps!
riff-raff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode