Got this one off the BlueOvalNews.com website...
•We've received a couple of comments concerning the next generation Explorer. First, a two door version will not be produced - that is wearing the Explorer nameplate. It is very likely that the next generation two door Explorer will be graced with the Bronco nameplate. . .which makes a lot of sense since the original Bronco's were much smaller than the F-Series. We've also heard that since Chevrolet will introduce a convertible Blazer next year, Ford might just follow suit. The two and four door Explorers will share similar components; however, will have different body styles.
Regarding the convertible, they also say that Ford is currently conducting wind tunnel tests on it, and that it should show up at SEMA 2001.
I think this may happen, folks! At least the part of separating the 2- and 4-Door Explorers is...2001 Sport is case-in-point.
I emailed Ford last week via Owner Connection on their website and told them what I want out of a new Bronco. It included:
- V8 with 225 HP @ approx. 3000-3500 RPM and 300 ft-lbs torque @ approx 2000-2500 RPM; we'd probably get the 4.6, if any V8.
- Solid front and rear axles; maybe coil-sprung all around for articulation, a la Jeep?
- Heavy-Duty 5-speed manual tranny with minimum 5:1 low/granny gear; NV4500!
- Manual, gear-driven transfer case with manual locking hubs.
- 2-Door with 2 more rear-opening "suicide" doors; it works for pickups, why not 2-door SUV's?
- Approx. 100" wheelbase.
- Removeable top.
I then went into all sorts of aftermarket goodies that I would probably swap to eventually (gears, locker in rear/limited slip front, low-profile steel bumpers and nerf bars with bumper-mounted spare carrier, 33" tires, etc.); why not buy that stuff from the factory or dealer rather than aftermarket? I'm sure the aftermarket would love to partner with Ford to build custom rigs.
Also, there's a guy putting together a sort of petition to Ford regarding building another Bronco. Email him at [email protected]
and include your name and all current and past Fords you've owned.
Just some news and thoughts...
78 Bronco Custom
400, NP435, NP205
3" Rancho Suspension Lift