Bronco's Back? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2000, 04:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bronco\'s Back?

Got this one off the BlueOvalNews.com website...

BRONCO

•We've received a couple of comments concerning the next generation Explorer. First, a two door version will not be produced - that is wearing the Explorer nameplate. It is very likely that the next generation two door Explorer will be graced with the Bronco nameplate. . .which makes a lot of sense since the original Bronco's were much smaller than the F-Series. We've also heard that since Chevrolet will introduce a convertible Blazer next year, Ford might just follow suit. The two and four door Explorers will share similar components; however, will have different body styles.

Regarding the convertible, they also say that Ford is currently conducting wind tunnel tests on it, and that it should show up at SEMA 2001.

I think this may happen, folks! At least the part of separating the 2- and 4-Door Explorers is...2001 Sport is case-in-point.

I emailed Ford last week via Owner Connection on their website and told them what I want out of a new Bronco. It included:

- V8 with 225 HP @ approx. 3000-3500 RPM and 300 ft-lbs torque @ approx 2000-2500 RPM; we'd probably get the 4.6, if any V8.
- Solid front and rear axles; maybe coil-sprung all around for articulation, a la Jeep?
- Heavy-Duty 5-speed manual tranny with minimum 5:1 low/granny gear; NV4500!
- Manual, gear-driven transfer case with manual locking hubs.
- 2-Door with 2 more rear-opening "suicide" doors; it works for pickups, why not 2-door SUV's?
- Approx. 100" wheelbase.
- Removeable top.

I then went into all sorts of aftermarket goodies that I would probably swap to eventually (gears, locker in rear/limited slip front, low-profile steel bumpers and nerf bars with bumper-mounted spare carrier, 33" tires, etc.); why not buy that stuff from the factory or dealer rather than aftermarket? I'm sure the aftermarket would love to partner with Ford to build custom rigs.

Also, there's a guy putting together a sort of petition to Ford regarding building another Bronco. Email him at [email protected] and include your name and all current and past Fords you've owned.

Just some news and thoughts...

Bill
78 Bronco Custom
400, NP435, NP205
3" Rancho Suspension Lift
35X12.5 MT's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2000, 06:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bronco\'s Back?

Let's just say, that you shouldn't believe everyhting that the Blue Oval news is printing... The Explorer stays virtually the same, as far as name and family distinction go, but gets a couple of new additions/variations (i.e. Explorer Sport Trac). I have seen a mock up of a concept with the Bronco nameplate on it. Let's just say that as a Bronco owner, I was not happy. Without giving away secrets, (can you say Jeep Cherokee?), but...keep sending in suggestions to the company. Believe it or not, the voice of the consumer is the biggest driving force behind Ford vehicle development. If I can get names to send ideas to, I will pass them along. Keep the faith...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode