Diggin' for info--help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Diggin\' for info--help

Gonna sound like a completely uneducated person (this is my disclaimer). I don't know the lingo, I don't have the mechanical know-how that so many of you seem to have. What I do have is a yearning to get off-road and get dirty.
I am in the market for a vehicle, want a truck/SUV and I love the way (non-stock) Broncos look (pardon my ego, they're often big and loud and obnoxious--perfect). However, I do not have the kind of money to go around getting trucks just because I like the way they look.
I am looking for something extremely reliable ( I drive 80 miles round trip to go to work), powerful, and with the availability of a decent amount of aftermarket modification products to make my baby a dirt loving monster.
Any suggestions/comments?
Like I said, I know virtually nothing about what I am talking about--just looking for opinions. Thankx for any feedback.
--Xdirtygirl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Diggin\' for info--help

Marry me, Xdirtygirl. Just kidding. If you want something for after market mods, go with a 302 or 351W or 351M. I would say anything from 86 to the 90's would work, depends on how much $$ you want to invest up front. For better mileage, you may want a stick shift. Good luck.

headers on a 6 banger
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't buy an 80 thru 83 don't know about 84-85's, 86 and up are good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank for the info--I knew I wanted something a bit newer...and I definitely want a 5-speed ( I drove a manual for about 2 weeks, and now I cannot get with driving an auto--I HAVE to have the power in my hands!)
I think I am going to have at least a bit of $$ to work with, although not that much..Gonna have to join the rat race and finance!
Thanks, and you will probably be seein my posts again (as I have about as much knowlege in my head as a 5 year old!)
--Xdirtygirl

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2000, 02:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 3 and 1/2 cents worth. 1980 to 1986 years all had the same body style. The style was changed in 1987. The front clip had rounded corners and different grille stylings. The interior got the major change. This body style lasted through 1991 and was changed again in 1992, again with the major styling changes being in the interior and front clip. Starting in 1987 a High Output 5.0 Litre (302 CID) engine was used that was very reliable, efficient, and powerful. It seemed to have more spunk that the 5.8 Litre engine. The manual 5 speed transmissions were good with no major faults. Up until 1986, the automatic transmissions were a 3 speed (no overdrive) and were very solid. The 4 speed automatic (with overdrive) was smooth shifting, but seemed to be a weaker link than the 3 speed. They were still quite reliable as long as the transmission fluid was changed every now and then. All the Bronco's had the same basic suspension system from 1980 to 1996 and proved quite rugged, though some say that the off road steering characteristics were less than desired due the the design of the front suspension. I personally don't see the problem, that will be up to you. Most of the 1980 to 1985 Broncos that you find will be nickle and dimers, mainly due to carburation and emission designs in these years. I guess if it were up to me (and its not) I would choose a Bronco from 1987 and up with the High Output, Fuel Injected 5.0 Litre engine. Add on the 5 speed manual transmission and a nice looking set of wheels and tires and you will have a nice looking rig to have fun in.

Good luck, Eric.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm myself own 2 early 80's broncos and love them to death. A 90's model would probibly work good for you with a 5.0 engine(I prefer the 4.9) and a 5 speed would probibly net you about 13-16mpg with 33" tires. For a cheap "big truck" look get a nice set of radial all-terrain 33x12.5x15's on a set of 10"wide rims and a 1 or 2" body lift. make sure you get one with at least 3.55 gears, perferably 4.10's.

Do'n it with only 6 cylinders!
member of Team boarcock off-road club
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2000, 12:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi xdirtygirl, I just bought an 1978 bronco with a 3' lift. 351m motor, with some lite mod's for $800.00 From a used car lot no less. it has the 4 speed with granny 1st. gear. some folks dont like the straight front axle? But if your not racing it works great, Look at lots of rigs and ask lots of questions and you will do fine...Eldon [melroy69] Good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode