E4OD Tranny - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

E4OD Tranny

Hello Bronco Owners,
My 95 Bronco has a blown transmission, the E4OD has 95,000 miles on it. The truck is in great shape and the motor is very strong (351). I have read some posts on the E4OD and it seems alot of people have had some problems. Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay for the rebuild and if anyone has had thier E4OD rebuilt are you happy with the performance and have you had any other problems since you had your tranny rebuilt?
Thank you in advance for any information,
Pompy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: E4OD Tranny

E4OD, and 4WD. Figure on $1200 to $1600 if you have the trans shop do everything. The biggest cost is in the R&R labor. I had a 1997 F-150 Off-Road with the E4OD, and I hated it so bad that I got rid of the truck as soon as my Bronco was back on the road. The big problem with the E4OD is that it is (was) made for the "average" driver. You know the type...gas pedal is like an eggshell, get groceries, put the thing in 4Hi on a gravel road...Since the average driver likes "smooth" shift characteristics, the shift points, and clutch engagement is setup to let the clutches mesh together. This equates to greater frictional wear on the clutch disks, and a pathetic, mushy feel when the gears are shifted into. I hear Banks Engineering makes a trans command module to firm up the E4OD's mushyness. You may want to pick their brains after your rebuild. If you don't want to spend what they want for their module, you can get a shift improver kit from Trans-Go (check Summit out). The Trans-Go kit was made to give a manual shifting capability to the E4OD. talk to your local trans shop guy and see what he thinks. He may install the thing for a very minimal price. Good luck with your problem.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just had mine rebuilt about two months ago and it cost $1400 after 110,000 miles, but it is no longer stock. I have a 92 and the planitary gear in its E40D was made of aluminum. I had it repalced with a steel one and did away with the factory torque converter. My tranny should last much longer than another stock one. It still shifts a little mushy though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The other two posts are right on the money about the E4OD's inherent design problems. I'm on my third rebuild with my 95 with less than 70k miles. The unfortunate aspect of having an extended warranty is that Ford wont pay for aftermarket improvements even though the dealer techs and regional engineers know their design (soft shift points and weak torque conv.) is crap. Number 4 for me (hoping not anytime soon) will likely be a JET Performance E4OD rebuild. I'm told you can get by for less than what a performance rebuild would cost if you went the way of a HD TC and an improved shift module. Good luck!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2000, 12:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only way to solve your problem with having a E4OD transmission, is to get the one from Jet Performance. It is a totally new unit that has all the Ford flaws worked out. Unfortunately, it cost about $2600.

I have a friend that has one in his Bronco and it shifts like a scalded dog. Damn thing pisses me off, because I don't have the money to get one. Hell, I am looking into how hard it would be to put a C-6 into my '91 Bronco when mine desides to go out again.

I just replaced mine a few months ago. I went to Advance Auto Parts and bought a rebuilt unit for $1500 and put it in myself. But not before adding a Jet Performance TransPac. Just 3 new springs it add to it and it helped stiffen the shifting.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2000, 03:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

as far as i know, a c6 will not be an easy swap into your 90. The c6 is a mechanicaly controlled tranny, and the e4od is electronically controled. I guess you would need a computer from a Bronco with a c6 in it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode