fuel gauge - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 05:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

fuel gauge

have any of you bronco owners experience this problem before? on my way to work my bronco died and so i had it towed home. it acted like it was out of gas but my gauge said that i had a 1/4 of a tank. if any of you have had this problem or else i will be dropping my tank in order to replace a fuel pump.

Thanks in advance

Off roading relieves stress unless u break someth'n!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 08:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: fuel gauge

Hey '83B, wouldn't your 83 have a carburator and a mechanical fuel pump on the block? If you have swapped in a later engine and pump setup, forget what I'm saying. Otherwise, I think I'd check gas in tank to see if gauge or sender went. If it has enough gas, I'd check fuel filter, and do a pump-output test into a can (remember to disconnect coil to distrib wire, and short coil output to ground with a clip lead for safety).
Also, if you can see gas spray when working throttle linkage (accelerator pump) while looking down carb w/engine OFF, that tends to be a good sign, but still could be restricted by dirty filter. If you have a V-V carb, carefully open the venturi by sliding it back, to see down to where accel pump sprays out. Usually can get a couple of full strokes of gas out of the accel pump before the carb bowl runs out of gas.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i did the check for the gas comming from the tank in the fuel line and i got noth'n. there isn't any gas left in the carb. that is why i was wondering if the fuel pump in the tank could have gone bad (if there is one) or if the tank was just out of gas.

Off roading relieves stress unless u break someth'n!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check the sender unit. I've seen an '87 F150 with a bad gas guage or sender unit... The truck used to always read "FULL" even when the tank was less than 1/2 full. At about a 1/4 tank it might show 1/2 or so... At empty it would say 1/4.

Until its fixed, record the millage when you fill up to judge how much gas you have left.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode