302 to 351 enigine swap for an 89 Frod Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 07:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

302 to 351 enigine swap for an 89 Frod Bronco

I am currently looking to rebuild my engine in my 1989 ford bronco 302 automatic with overdrive and push button 4X4. I was wondering what problems I am going to run into by trying to put the larger 351w in in place of my current 302. I was told by different sources that I might have the change things such as my oil pan, intake manifolds, amoung other things. If you have any information, or details on what this 302 to 351w engine swap entials please e-mail me a [email protected]. I appreciate any and all suggestions to my dillema. Also if you know what costs are involoved with upgrading to the 351w from the 302 it would help me out, Thank you Steve Cook.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 302 to 351 enigine swap for an 89 Frod Bronco

in the manual nothing will interchange with the 302 and the 351w

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2000, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I asked the same question some time ago on this bulletin board, and had mixed input. Although, one person said that the 5.8 was an option in Bronco's, and this leads me to believe that a 5.8 351W will indeed fit into your '89 and my '91. It would just need the computer (ECC) from the donar. And if you have the E4OD tranny, the the donar vehicle will have to have the same.

I am about to check with a salvage yard here in Gainsville, GA that has nothing but trucks/SUV's in it. If I can verify that the 351W 5.8L will indeed fit in my '91 then I will be sure to post the facts.

According to a book called High Performance Ford Engine Parts Interchange 221-CID to 460-CID, it says that the 351 5.8L has the same tranny housing/engine bolt pattern. Which suggest that dropping in a 351W 5.8L would be no problem.

Then again, I will not know until I go look at one and see for myself. It seems that not many people have done this on this bulletin board. But I will keep all interested - posted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2000, 01:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes the 351 will fit. it is a popular swap. the 351w is almost identical to the 302, except the 351 has a taller deck height.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2000, 01:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

To: rol231
Now is this a popular swap with the E4OD tranny? Is it true that the wiring harnesses are the same and all that will have to be changed out is the ECC? And what of the exhaust? Will it hook up with the exhaust without modifications? And will 302 shorty headers fit on 351 heads?

Just a few questions that you may have answers to.

Thanks

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2000, 05:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

technoman-
im not sure if it is a popular swap with the e4od tranny, but im sure it has been done. Sorry, I'm not sure about the wiring harnesses. I would think that if the 351 was sourced from a truck with an e4od/351, there would be no problems, as long as the computer is to be swapped out as well. yes, the exhaust should bolt up. I know of a guy that is in the process of swapping in a 351 into his Bronco with the c6 tranny. I'll ask him a few of the same questions.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2000, 12:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 81 Fullsize Bronco came stock with a 351W

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode