Lift an 89 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lift an 89

Looking to lift my 89 351w Bronco. Questions: Is Procomp (stage 1 or 2), Superlift, or Rancho better (i know, i know...). I wont be installing the lift so its not an issue. My main concern is durability on and off the trail. I'm off-road about 20 days a year. If I run 35s (I'll probably go w/ 33s) is a 4" lift big enuf? I've heard conflicting info on that. Also if I run 35s (or even 33s) do I need to swap out the gears?

Its alot but any feedback is mucho appreaciated!

JK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Lift an 89

See the post "stock tire sixe on a 93" regarding tires and gears. I'm not sure myself which lift is best.. Some include free shocks, some have stronger bracketry, some offer softer ride, etc..... I'll keep an eye on your responses!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have never personally used any of these lfts, but my good friend has had Superlift, Pro-Comp (stage 1) and Rancho. Here are our experiences. Pro-Comp had a good setup, but extremely stiff. The springs softened a little, but not much. Rancho wasn't worth it. The springs sagged a couple of inches and were weak. He ended up putting spacers under the front coils to get the truck level again. Superlift was the best by far. The ride was a little stiffer than stock. The springs seemed retain what was set by the factory. The brackets were huge compared to the rest of the setups. The rear setup seemed more like a six inch lift rather than a four. As far as 35" tires go, he would have had trouble with them. We had to trim the bumper to fit 33" tires. Rubbed when the tires were turned and the suspension was headed up. These were just our experiences with a 93 Ford F-150. The lifts will be the same, but taller tires may fit under the Bronco. As far as gears go, he left the stock 3.55's in. He had the 4 speed auto tranny with a B&M Shift Kit installed. Other than going faster than he really wanted he was alright. Had the 5.8 Litre with a K&N filter and headers with higher flowing exhaust. If your Bronce has the High Output 5.0 Litre, you shouldn't have any problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

on the two bronco mailing lists I am on (bigbroncos and LMB) Alot of people have installed the Dick Cepek stage two kits. From what everyone says on the lists, they are the best lift kits made for the TTB.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know if this helps, I have a 6" lift on an 89 F250, with the superrunner steering and the I have gotten superb performance from this lift, with only a slightly stiffer ride than stock. I currently run 36x14.5x16.5 Swamper Radials and I could easily fit a 38.5's underneath. I hope this helps out.....

Grizzly
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the Procomp stage 1 lift on my '92 and it is not stiff at all. It is perhaps a little stiffer than stock but stock is too soft for my taste. I have the 4" suspension lift and a 3" body lift. I am running 35's and they still rub a little under a sharp drop when the suspension is fully compressed. My buddy is running a Superlift 6" and it is much stiffer and not near as plush. The brackets for the Procomp lift are extremely heavy duty and put my friend's Superlift componets to shame. Rancho is probibly a better kit but be prepaired to pay much, much more for it. If I were to do it agian? I would get a Procomp Stage 2, 6" suspension lift and a two inch body. 4" is definatily not big enough for 35's if you do any serous offroading but it is ok for putting around on dirt roads. I have pounded the snot out of my Procomp lift (catching air just about every time I go to the sand dunes) and it has been perfect. My buddy's front axel drop bracket cracked under the same abuse (Superlift).
Gears
I am running stock gears (3:55) with 35's and it is not too bad. I did add power adders to help. Gears are a mondo expensive adventure after parts and installation (@ $800).

Any more questions?
[email protected]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 03:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I recommend the Skyjacker Series II 4" or 6" lift. I have been researching lifts for my 1986 Bronco and first off only Dick Cepek and Skyjacker responded quickly with catalogs. Trail Master, Rancho, and Explorer comp catalogs never came... (was never charged either...)

Skyjackers lift is the ONLY lift in which you can get Brand-new rear spring packs, not the add-a-leaf crap or blocks (blocks are garbage too). Granted the complete kit, pitman, drop brackets, new radius arms,shocks etc. and all is $1200, but it seems to be the best kit available.

I will be getting the 4" kit someday.. (unfortunately, saving money for a house.. so I have a place to work on my truck)

Hope this helps.

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 05:58 PM
mudmonger

>>>>I know this is about a Bronco, but, I have an 89 F-150-mechanically the same underneath, only longer. I am currently running the Pro Comp Stage 2 kit and have been for about 3 years. This is the 6 inch kit which is largest offered by them. I bought mine with the extended radius arms, bracketry, extended brake lines, dropped pitman arm, 4 ES3000 shocks, and add-a-leafs. The whole thing cost about $950 and has held up with out breakage or wear-even the paint on the arms is still intact. This truck has seen air on several occasions on hard packed dirt and the only casualty was a crushed cab bushing. Pro Comp, and most other manufactures whose catalogs I have seen, does offer replacement leaf springs for the back if you don't want the add-a-leafs or blocks. If you don't want to spend the 300-400 bucks on rear springs, at least get the add-a-leafs. Most of the 1/2 ton spring packs are known for axle wrap stock and this is dramatically increased with blocks. I would also recommend dual shocks in the front if you will be doing anything high speed with 35s or bigger. As far as tire size, 35s would have fit well with my lift, but, I went with 36 inch Swamper SXs. They rubbed a little on the trailing edge of the front fenders until I got a little air and then the rubbing stopped and the crinkling began. I trimmed one and a half inches off the back edge and this helped, but, this ment more air and now a little more trimming. Over all I am very happy with this kit and it's durability, oh, and by the way, with the extended radius arms I noticed very little ride difference from stock and my tires are bias ply(gotta be a plus). As far as gears go it is up to you on how much performance and fuel econmy you are willing to give up. If you are against spending hundreds of dollars on parts alone, not to mention hundreds more for labor, then I would say don't go over 33s if you have 3.55 gears now. When I had my axles done it cost 700 bucks in labor alone. I repaced the front and rear with posis, 4.56 gears, and all new bearings. The parts were about $1000. After I broke my first set of rear gears I found out that the average mechanical enthusiast can replace thier own gears if the need arrises. As far as which brand is best I would have to say that is up to how you percieve all the info you have recieved. I have had only one kit, but, know people that have run Superlifts basic kit, Skyjackers 8 inch kit, and Rancho's 4 inch kit(biggest they make). All of them seem very happy, but, I did see the Rancho kit take a lot of air and it looked really good with 33s. I definitly don't feel you would have much off-road success with 35s and only a 4 inch kit. Hope you find exactly what you are looking for. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 02:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another thing to considers, is the Superlift Super Runner Steering Kit. It makes a drastic improvement on steering (so I hear). As far as I know, it is only works with Superlift systems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode