External Fuel Pump? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 08:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

External Fuel Pump?

On my '88 351, about a foot behind (toward the gas tank) the fuel filter is a canister about the size of a soda can only a little longer. Is this an external fuel pump? Chilton's says it is in the tank? Also about another foot back, right next to the transfer case, there is a device that looks like a metal water separator like you would see in an air line (best way I could describe it). Any thoughts on what this is? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 09:12 AM

Re: External Fuel Pump?

Your Bronco has 2 Fuel Pumps: A "Lift" Pump in the Tank and a "Boost" Pump on the Frame Rail. There is also a Fuel Reservoir on the Frame Rail, which keeps the engine supplied with fuel during bouncy or Steep Up-Hill Driving.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks a lot for the info. As a follow-up, I'm wondering if the following condition is indicative of a problem. The truck was running to move it into position for the fuel filter change. Within five minutes of shutting it off I tried to bleed-off pressure by depressing the schraeder valve in the fuel rail. There was nothing. When I pulled the lines from the filter there was residual gas but certainly no pressure. Is there something to be concerned about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 12:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a similar problem with my 93 bronco. When I shut the vehicle off, the pressure would drop to nothing. I only have the in-tank pump, but found that there is a check-valve in the pump that keeps the pressure at 35-40 psi when the vehicle is off. I had to replace the pump ($85) and the problem was solved. The symptom was the vehicle was hard starting if I didn't let the pump "pressure-up" the line before starting the vehicle. It was more annoying than serious.

This could be the problem. Another cause of this problem could be a leaky injector, or a hole in the fuel line. It may take some digging to find the problem. If it is a hole in the fuel line, I would definantly fix it. If it is a leaky injector, or a bad pump check-valve, I wouldn't fix it unless you have the time to spare and it starts getting annoying. Having a shop do the work will definantly "break the bank".

Hope this helps
Curtis

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 05:35 PM

I agree: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you're really concerned, you could get a Fuel Pressure Gauge and check out how long the system holds pressure. But, if you don't have any apparent symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode