stock tire size on 93? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2000, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

stock tire size on 93?

I'm running numbers through a gear calculator so that I can get a good ratio when i switch to 36's, but I really need the factory tire size so that I can get a feel for an approximate range. Does anybody happen to know the original size?
By the way, these factory gears seem WAY too low to me. I have 31's now, and I have to get on it pretty good to get the beast rolling, even with a 351. Has anybody else noticed this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2000, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: stock tire size on 93?

Way too low? or way to high? The stock gears, unless they have been changed should be 3:55's. The stock size from the factory is close to 29" tall. If you are going to 36's, you can put 4:56's in and your final drive ratio will be between 3:55 and 3:73. A bronco with 35's and 4:56 gears has a final drive ratio of almost exactly 3:73. Be prepaired to pay dearly. The parts for the front and rear will run you about $400. Installation for the rear is about $90 but look to spend $250 for the independant front unless you do it yourself or know someone. The enitle ifs has to come off because there is no access cover to the front diff.
If you want to spend the money, you will not be dissapointed in the difference.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2000, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

You got me! Way too high it is. So if I wanted better acceleration than I have now, with the 36's I would need gears lower than 4:56?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2000, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could run 5.88 gears but that would be the max I would run. Gears will help but they will not solve all your accel probs. If you go too high, you will be running down the highway with the rpm's screeming and the gas gauge moving before your eyes. A final ratio of about 3.73 is your best bet for performance and fuel economy unless it isn't an everyday driver. You could also look into a MSD 6a ignition. I put one off of my Mustang on the Bronco and wow, what a difference.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2000, 10:11 PM
mudmonger

>>>I noticed you said 36's in your post as your preferred tire size. I am assuming you are looking at some sort of Swamper or Mickey. The size of the tires you are looking at do put a lot of leverage on an axle, but, also the weight of a tire such as those mentioned compared to the regular 35x12.5 radial is considerably more and plays a big role in the abuse the axle will see. As the gears get lower (numerically higher) a strange thing happens-they also get weaker. In order for the gearing to go deeper there has to be more teeth and the more teeth there are the smaller and weaker they are-this is particularly true of the pinion. It sounds to me more like you have 3.08s to start out with and the 4.56s should do very well with 36s and even better with a few simple and reasonable power mods. Even if you decide to go with deeper gears you can do your self a favor and add some items that will prolong thier life. First a set of traction bars-this reduces the chance of breaking the rear most u-joint and pinion by controlling axle wrap-big smoking tires pavement axle wrap = $ for repairs. Another item of interest is a dif cover with bearing preload bolts built in to it. This controls ring gear deflection by placing a counter load in the center of the bearing caps-it helps to compensate for the lack of a carrier bearing like the 9" uses(one reason it is so strong). You can get these right from Ford Motorsport and other sources for $150 of less and most are aluminum, look cool, have a drain plug, and increase the fluid capacity in the rear axle. Hopefully some of this info is of use to you or others. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 12:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There should be a tag on your rear diff cover that tells you the ratio, it's sounds like you have 3.08's. Your situation sounds just like mine. I had 3.08's in my truck with 31" BFG's then I switched to 35" BFG's. In order for me to get the truck going I had to stand on the pedal. I swapped the 3.08's for 4.56's and what a difference. The truck runs just about the way it did when it had the stock tires.

As for as installation costs if you do it yourself, get the gears from 4WheelParts Wholesalers. They warrenty the gears for life no matter what happens or who puts them in. If you have your local shop install them look to spend anywhere from 700 to 1000 dollars for front and rear. I did the job myself and it wasn't hard at all. It just takes common sense, basic know how and lots of patience.

Good luck,

Bravoman

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What tools did you use to replace the gears (front and rear). Please give a complete list of tools. I am looking to do it myself on the weekend and I don't want any suprises (Tool King isn't open on Sundays). I have a magnetic Dial Indicator, but not sure what other tools are required to set the front and rear gears. Do I need a hydraulic press?

Thanks in advance

Curtis.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 08:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK for starters you can probably get away with the factory shims for the new gears. You will need: socket set, pry bar, two jaw bearing puller, bearing separator for pinion bearing (although if you get the master install kit it comes with the new pinion bearings, it's good to remove the old bearings and use a Dremel to grind down a bit of the inside of the bearing race so you can use it for setting up the new pinion gear's depth shims), hydraulic press to install bearings and ring gear (tip to press the ring gear without a press, boil it in a pot of water and then with tongs and oven mits place it on the carrier, it will pretty much slide right on and for the bearings use the old bearing race and a 3lb hammer to knock them on), caliper to measure the old shims, dial caliper to measure backlash, patience.

You've probably have guessed that I'm the King of Tool Improv, but when you don't have the right tool and it's Sunday you make due with what you have. It's been 4 months since my gear change and so far so good, no noise no vibrations and upon visual check no abnormal wear. Lookes like the gears are meshing just great.

You probably won't get this done in one day, it took me three because I wanted to make sure that I didn't rush and make a stupid mistake. The instructions that come with the gears suck and the Chilton manual isn't much better.

Good luck,

Bravoman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode