Intake plenum spacer??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Intake plenum spacer???

Since I need to remove my intake to replace the valve seals in my 88 Bronco 302, I thought about installing a spacer under the intake. Is this worth any power? Is it the same one for the mustang? Any drawbacks? (upper RPM etc)Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 01:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Intake plenum spacer???

Since your are wanting to think about the spacer for the 302 (which is not like the one for the Mustang), you may want to check out the Edelbrock Performer Truck 5.0 aluminum intake manifold/plenum. It replaces the whole intake manifold (upper/lower). It is said to give significate power increase from IDLE-5500 RPM.

You can purchase it from JEGS for about $489.99. Then all you would need is the Fel-Pro intake gasket #1250. That would put you in a new look for the engine with power to think about.

I do not have this on my 5.0 Bronco yet (saving for it), but I have a friend that does, and he swears by it. And they even have 56mm/61mm Twin Throttle Bodies for the intake (although the plenum has to be port matched for the 61mm).

Just thought I would give you something to think about. You can check it out at: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_ford_5l.html. Just scan down until you see the one for the 5.0L EFI Truck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The spacer is a phenolic composite. The theory is that it separates the engine heated lower intake with the upper, so that you get a cooler, more dense air charge entering the combustion chamber. In stock form, you will not have a noticeable increase in power...but...the spacer does allow you easier access to the valve covers for removal if you ever find the need again. The previous post mentions changing the intakes. You could do that if you wanted, but you have to be careful about runner length, and port design. You would benefit more, and save money by going to roller tip rocker arms instead. They free up to 17 hp by reducing friction. Have fun!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey ROn Bo,
How difficult is it to change to roller rockers? what all does it involve? can it be done with the engine in the truck?...or should it be pulled out? Also, arent there many different lift heights/ratios of roller rockers? Would it be best to maintain the stock height? any particular type/brand you care to recommend?thanks and sorry for all the Questions!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All you need to do is pull the valve covers, and there they are, sitting pretty over the valve tips. Easy to replace too. I have a set of Motorsports roller tips, but just because I liked the looks of them. You can get different rocker ratios. The Fords typically use 1.6 ratios. You can go to 1.7 if you wanted, it would increase your effective valve lift. I haven't tried it on a speed density EFI, so I don't know if it would throw off the MAP sensor. I doubt such a small increment would affect the loop though. When you reinstall the nut back onto the rocker shaft, torque it to 23 ft-lbs. You'll have less adjustment to do when you fire up the engine. If you have a "clacking" when you start the truck, tighten the affected rocker nut down until the clacking stops, then crank it down another 1/4 to 1/2 turn, and presto, you have the perfectly adjusted rocker arm. Also...VERY IMPORTANT...When you re-install the valve cover, check to make sure the flanged surface where the bolt holes are is flat. If it is dimpled, take a soft hammer , and flatten the flange out. When you torque down the valve cover bolts, only tighten to 3-5 ft-lb. No more, or you'll leak oil sure as the sun rises...believe me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode