Vacume Leak - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 01:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Vacume Leak

I have an 87 Bronco with a carbureted 351. After I got an inspection, I heard a vacume leak from under the hood. I checked it out for a while trying to figure out where it was coming from just by trying to listen to it, but my truck is too damn noisy and I cant figure it out that way. How can I find the source of my vaccume leak?
By the way, is there anything they do durring an inspection that might have caused this problem? I asked them and they said no, but I dont know if I can trust them.
Thanks for your time.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 01:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Vacume Leak

Do you hear the noise all the time? If not, when do you hear it? (i.e. only when you depress the brakes, or certain engine RPM's). Also can you tell from which side of the engine bay it is coming from? Also, what does the vacuum leak affect? Brakes, idle, nothing? Write back...we need more info

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Vacume Leak

Use Carb Cleaner.... spray it around all the vacuum lines and such.. if the engine idles up... then that is where you leak is! Neat trick... works well...

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Vacume Leak Found

I just wanted to let everybody know I found the leak and fixed it today. It was a rotted plastic vacume cap at the vaccume tree at the beginning of the line that goes tword the master cylander.
Thanks for all your help,
Tom

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2000, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tom,

Did you use the carb cleaner trick?

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 12:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No Steve, I didn't. After Ron-BO asked if my brakes felt any diffrent due to the vaccume leak, I realized they did. So I just started fealing around the line that goes to the master cylander and I felt the leak.
But the carb cleaner sounds like a good tip, and I'll keep that in mind if I run into this problem again.
Thanks again,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode