big alternators = big price? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

big alternators = big price?

I think my alternator is dying, but on top of that I have a hungry stereo and lights so I thought I'd go with a big time replacement...on the order of 150-200 amps. Where can I find a good, high-current replacement that won't break the bank?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: big alternators = big price?

I have extensive current hungry devices in my truck, a 89 FS 351W Bronco: 3 stereo amps about 1500 watts total, tv/vcr, fog lights, Dick Cepek 150w off road lights, CB,ect...

I solved the problem with an AmpTech alt. it's about 140 amps. Thats double the factory alt. It cost about 200 bucks and went in with only a little modification to a tube that comes off of the engine that runs behind the alt. This alt is a little bigger than the factory one. If you think your gonna need more power you could go with a Leece/Neville (not sure about the spelling), this is the alt used in Ford ambulances. Your gonna have to fabricate a mouting bracket, buy a longer belt cause its huge and the only way to mount it is to move it away from it's original location. It costs about 300 bucks.

I'd save the money and the headache and go with an AmpTech alt.

Good luck,

Bravoman

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 03:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bravoman, by going to a larger alternator, are there any possibilities of damaging any of the electrical items (battery, sensor, etc..)? Dumb question but I'm not certain. I was thinking of buying a larger one because, at certain times, when I tow and have the A/C on (the fan) my amp gauge reads negative.
AAM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So far I haven't had any electrical problems after the bigger alt. In fact things have been better. When I have my off-road lights on, a/c on and stereo going, I find that the lights don't go dim anymore. It also keeps the battery fully charged and it shows when I go to start the truck. Before it struggled to turn over after alot of acc's were on. It was also a must for my linear amp for my CB. My guage sometimes does read around 14 volts like it should, but thats when the battery is fully charged and acc's aren't all on. When there is a drain the guage reads anywhere from 10-14 volts. But that's just the way the guage works since the new alt. When I put a voltmeter on the terminals it reads about 13.5 volts, which is normal. I think the guage should be used as a guide as to how much of the alt power is going towards recharging the battery not the power output to your electrical system. In your case it means that your battery is either bad or the alt is on its way out.

The factory alt is enough to power what the truck came with but as soon as you add options its not enough.

Good luck,

Bravoman

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 02:05 AM
Shilo

I've heard good things about AIS alternators: http://www.alternator-ais.com
You can get 'em up to 220 amp. Wrangler Power Products has some sweet ones but the 220 amp units near $500! Another option might be the alt from Premier Power Welder if you think you might ever want an on-board welder (I'm considering this).
The cheapest swap for the money would be a 3G alt from a '94-95 Mustang GT. It is 130 amps and can be had for about the same number of dollars, certainly less if you're willing to take a junkyard alternator. You'll have to do a small amount of grinding on the bracketry and modify/replace the stator plug. Pretty easy deal and it nearly doubles the factory alt. But you said 150-200 so this might not be what you want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode