Rear Speakers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear Speakers

I have a 1990 Bronco Custom. Has anybody put 6x9s in the rear 6x8 openings? If so, what modifications and how hard? Doesn't seem like it would be too hard. Finding a grill to cover the opening seems like it would be the most difficult part.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 05:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rear Speakers

Its REAL easy... just make an adapter out of a sheet of plywood, use the grills from the speakers you bought, you can paint them to match interior, I did. Also try to find some 6x9 speaker baffles so you will get better bass, or if you cant find those... jam the hole full of cloth or insulation or whatever to give you the deeper bass... I highly recommend finding 6x9 baffles though, they are cheap $20 a set, any auto-stereo place should have them.

I have Boston Acoustic RM-9-s in the back being driver by a Kenwood 75x2 amp.... sounds real good... I also haveRally 6 1/2" components BA's in the doors with the 1 inch tweeter cut into the dash... sounds good.. Kenwood KDC-6009 head unit...

Be Happy... Jam /\/\etallica and Off-Road!

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most speakers come with grills... Just cut the opening bigger and use the new grils. If you don't have them, you can get generic ones. You could also paint them to match and look more factory. Or, unless you already have the 6x9s, go with the 5x7s... Most of the 5x7 speakers I compared for my mustang, (also has 5x7s) had the same (or close) ranges as the 6x9s. And cutting my Mustangs openings was not an option.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything. But unless you happen to have the 6x9's just laying around, why not buy 6x8's. Try www.crutchfield.com. Hope I could help.
Jarrod Holland

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. BTW I want to get 6x9s, because many top speaker companies don't make 6x8s.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want a great sounding system go with 6" round speakers. I had modified my truck to use 6X9's and used baffles but the rear speakers never sounded as good as the front speakers. Up front I had a pair of 6" 130W Pioneers and 6X9 150W Pioneers in back. When I swapped the 6X9's for another set of 6" round speakers the sound quality more than doubled and I got twice the bass. Simply put the round cone can flex and disperse air better than the oval design. I also have 4 directional tweeters and a 10" dual bandpass subwoofer box in the cargo area. The front and rear speakers are powered by separate amps as well as the sub. A Sony CD receiver, passive eq and a 10 disk cd changer complete the setup.

Not to worry I keep it turned off in the woods,

Bravoman

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 07:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No Offense Jarrod, but..... NO High quality speakers come in 6x8

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK. Being a former installer, I feel I am more than qualified to respond to this. In many people's opinion, including mine, MB Quart makes the best high's and mid's on the market. And true, they don't make 6x8's but they do sell adapter plates to install their 5.25" coaxials in a 6x8 opening. And just off the top of my head, I can think of 4 other good manufacturers that make 6x8's: Kenwood, Pioneer, Polk Audio & Infinity's reference series. I hope this helps.

Jarrod Holland

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I definetly agree with you, MB Quart makes the best speakers, while JL makes the best subs. But, Infinity absolutely sucks (just my opinion). I have 6.5 Kappas, great highs, but they have no bass whatsoever (I'm not talking about sub frequencies). To me they seem like a classical type speaker, which is not my type.

I was actually thinking of putting two 6.5s in each door panel and a 6.5 next to a 6x9 in each rear panel. If I am able to reinforce the rear panel, I am going to sratch the 6x9s for for 8s. To me that would be a perfect setup with two 12 or 15 JLs in a sealed enclosure. That way I could get all the frequencies.

Has anybody else put 8's in the rear panel? If so, tell me about it.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are exactly right. JL Audio does make the best sub. If you want big sound, run three JL Audio W6 of any size. You can run the W6's in threes because they have dual voice coils. Push them with a Precision Power amp (PPI) and prepare to be amazed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode