Bog'n's 300 I6 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bog\'n\'s 300 I6

Hey Bog'n, you're running the Holley 450 cfm card on your I6 right?

I'm in the process of building up a '79 F250 that has the I6 and I'm looking at running something similar to what you have already proven to work well. (Offenhauser/Holley 450)

I think I saw that you lived up north somewhere and I'm wondering how you solved the no-choke on the 450 problem? If I remember right, the Holley 450 doesn't have any type of choke.. ?

It's hard enough to start now with the electric choke. (of course gas is leaking all out of the carburator because it's... well... old)

According to Jeg's (or Offenhauser?) they say use the 390cfm Holley. But that carb is like $100 more (!) and smaller.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 04:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bog\'n\'s 300 I6

I put an Offy on my I6. I used a 600 cfm edelbrock with the manual choke. I plan on leaning it down some when I fix my timing problem.

My hardest part was the offy was thicker than the header, so when i went to bolt it on, I had to fabricate an offset washer. I cut a exhaust washer in half and jb welded it to the other washer. it was a pain in the butt.

IF there is a kit or someother way, would some one let me know too.
later

headers on a 6 banger
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 12:57 AM

hey, I run the clifford performance intake and headers on my inline 6. It works pretty well but having a hard time fine tuning it. What did you guys use for a throttle linkage? I use the 390 holley and am having a hard time getting it to run not so rich. The 390 has an electric choke both clifford and the machine shop where i had them do my motor work said that the 390 is more than enough. I'm still experimenting with different things but over all the system works good. Lots more power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 09:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its working great with a .032 accererator nozzle and .054 main jets. I drilled my carb to accept a choke plate and rod of a junk carb I had sitting around but I have yet to use the choke. Even at -20*f All I do is pump the throttle twice and hit the key and she is off and running, I disconnected the choke and Only use the fast Idle cam to keep her at high idle, But Even though they say 390 is enough, it isn't. I tryed a friends(off his Ramcharger's 318) edlebrock 600cfm with vacuum secondaries and I noticed a power gain and still maintaned 12-13mpg.... But then again mine isn't total stock I'm running dual headers, comp cam 9.5:1 compression, and soon to have Bigger vavles.

Do'n it with only 6 cylinders!
member of Team boarcock off-road club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 11:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was talking to Bog'n a long time ago, but don't remember what he was running. He had it working pretty good though. I also run Clifford Intake, Dual Outlet Headers, 270 degree cam, and Holley 600 cfm Vacuum secondaries and all the trimmings. This carb works out good. Took a while to dial everything in, but is running with the best of them. The 450 cfm carb should be enough because I had to jet both the primary and secondary down quite far. Been playing with Pump cams lately and now have that dialed in. Let me know if I can help.

Eric R. Tachell

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info guys. It should start warming up here shortly (I hope) and I'll start to work.

I think I'll go with the 450 carb. 600 seems too much for what I need. I'm undecided on the intake, I'll probably get whatever is easiest to acquire.

I wonder if Edelbrock has anything in the 400-500 cfm range...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode