Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   Bog'n's 300 I6 (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/10679-bogns-300-i6.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 02-07-2000 09:37 AM

Bog\'n\'s 300 I6

Hey Bog'n, you're running the Holley 450 cfm card on your I6 right?

I'm in the process of building up a '79 F250 that has the I6 and I'm looking at running something similar to what you have already proven to work well. (Offenhauser/Holley 450)

I think I saw that you lived up north somewhere and I'm wondering how you solved the no-choke on the 450 problem? If I remember right, the Holley 450 doesn't have any type of choke.. ?

It's hard enough to start now with the electric choke. :) (of course gas is leaking all out of the carburator because it's... well... old)

According to Jeg's (or Offenhauser?) they say use the 390cfm Holley. But that carb is like $100 more (!) and smaller.

Thanks!

**DONOTDELETE** 02-07-2000 03:09 PM

Re: Bog\'n\'s 300 I6

I put an Offy on my I6. I used a 600 cfm edelbrock with the manual choke. I plan on leaning it down some when I fix my timing problem.

My hardest part was the offy was thicker than the header, so when i went to bolt it on, I had to fabricate an offset washer. I cut a exhaust washer in half and jb welded it to the other washer. it was a pain in the butt.

IF there is a kit or someother way, would some one let me know too.
later

headers on a 6 banger

broncsweet 02-07-2000 11:57 PM

hey, I run the clifford performance intake and headers on my inline 6. It works pretty well but having a hard time fine tuning it. What did you guys use for a throttle linkage? I use the 390 holley and am having a hard time getting it to run not so rich. The 390 has an electric choke both clifford and the machine shop where i had them do my motor work said that the 390 is more than enough. I'm still experimenting with different things but over all the system works good. Lots more power.

**DONOTDELETE** 02-08-2000 08:15 AM

Its working great with a .032 accererator nozzle and .054 main jets. I drilled my carb to accept a choke plate and rod of a junk carb I had sitting around but I have yet to use the choke. Even at -20*f All I do is pump the throttle twice and hit the key and she is off and running, I disconnected the choke and Only use the fast Idle cam to keep her at high idle, But Even though they say 390 is enough, it isn't. I tryed a friends(off his Ramcharger's 318) edlebrock 600cfm with vacuum secondaries and I noticed a power gain and still maintaned 12-13mpg.... But then again mine isn't total stock I'm running dual headers, comp cam 9.5:1 compression, and soon to have Bigger vavles.

Do'n it with only 6 cylinders!
member of Team boarcock off-road club

**DONOTDELETE** 02-14-2000 10:59 PM

I was talking to Bog'n a long time ago, but don't remember what he was running. He had it working pretty good though. I also run Clifford Intake, Dual Outlet Headers, 270 degree cam, and Holley 600 cfm Vacuum secondaries and all the trimmings. This carb works out good. Took a while to dial everything in, but is running with the best of them. The 450 cfm carb should be enough because I had to jet both the primary and secondary down quite far. Been playing with Pump cams lately and now have that dialed in. Let me know if I can help.

Eric R. Tachell

**DONOTDELETE** 02-15-2000 02:24 PM

Thanks for the info guys. It should start warming up here shortly (I hope) and I'll start to work.

I think I'll go with the 450 carb. 600 seems too much for what I need. I'm undecided on the intake, I'll probably get whatever is easiest to acquire.

I wonder if Edelbrock has anything in the 400-500 cfm range...