First problem with $400 83 Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2000, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

First problem with $400 83 Bronco

My son just bought a 83 not too rusty yet beater Bronco. Since it had snowed a good bit recently ...he chose to take dad on an adventure. Heck ......he was in a big 4WD ....sat taller than Mom & Dads Jeep......let's show dad how it does in this large field (actually a parking area of a recreational area) well ......after 45 minutes of getting stuck in drifted and froze over snow covered with fresh powder made him realize that his new ride was far from "All Terrain". Well ........here's the problem. While doing this (I had to eventually take command of the extraction) it acted like a typical 4WD with an open rear............right rear......left front.....or right front....left rear....going backwards. The manual hubs were naturally locked. ............but.....the next day.....(he had not "unlocked" the hubs yet).....he engaged the 4wd and the right front shaft just spins.

So.........what makes a manual locking hub work "some of the time"? That is, this appears to work 100% when you get it to lock.......but you can't always get it to lock. What am I looking at here $$$wise and how involved is it to change it out if I have need to? I can wrench .....but I've never touched a 4wd frontend ...or a t-case.......but if it's not any more complicated then a ford top loader......or a 70's era automatic...I should be able to handle it.......with a little advice.

Thanks in advance

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 02:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: First problem with $400 83 Bronco

check out a haynes manual, when i took mine apart it really helped me out.

hope this helps

by the way i have taken my 83 off road, bone stock and i didn't have any problems.
'83Bronco

Off roading relieves stress unless u break someth'n!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Haynes manual is a must if you are going to work on them yourself. You will need a special "socket" to take the nuts of the front hubs.

Your lock outs might need a good lubrication. Or replace them with Warn hubs (about $70 a pair)

Part of the beater mystique is working on them. Remember, fixing them beats making a payment on a new one, and you don't care if you scratch it a little.

Good luck

headers on a 6 banger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had similar problems with my stock '88 manual hubs. They were difficult to engage properly. I'm not sure if it's just typical of the stock hubs but the whole engagement system was pretty weak (whimpy springs, combined with the short 1/2 turn engagment).

I replaced them with Warn premium hubs and they now work 100% of the time. About $70 and absolutely one of the easiest things you can change/upgrade.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thank you all.....gosh you gotta love information age! I guess it's a trip to "PepBoys" and pick up a manual.

BTW '83Bronco.........I think the real problem with the beast in the snow was tire related......a little too wide and not quite enough meat....we let some air out and moved with more "command".....but it was still work.

Thanks again,

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode