Gas tank replacement tips? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2000, 07:29 PM
Taylor

Gas tank replacement tips?

1990 Bronco EFI.....Any tips on replacing a gas tank? Should I go for a metal or plastic replacement?
My tank is starting to leak, at first glance the bolts that hold on the skid plate are rusted so bad they are going to have to get drilled out......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 12:52 AM
Shilo

Re: Gas tank replacement tips?

Make sure the tank is as empty as possible. Yes, my skid plate bolts were rusted badly but air tools finally broke them loose. Try to disconnect as many of the lines as possible before lowering the tank, or lower it very carefully until you can get to them. I unknowlingly left mine attached and some kinked when I brought the tank all the way down.
Most people replace w/poly tanks but some of the manufacturers are shoddy. When I need to replace mine I'm going w/a 45gal from Northwest Metal Products, but a custom skid plate will be necessary. If you get a new metal tank paint the bottom of it and inside of the skid plate w/some sort of bedliner like Durabak, should stop future rust problems. Or if you want to get creative you can anchor the tank w/universal straps and then use spacers on the skid plate bolts to lower the plate an inch or so from the tank, this will also prevent most rust problems. These are just a few ideas.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 01:46 PM
Taylor

Thanks for the advice...I gave it several attempts but couldn't get anywhere with the limited amount of tools I have....Time to take it in to the shop, Oh Well... Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 05:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had to replace the one in my 88 twice now. After the second I was able to locate a poly tank instead of metal. What I did find the second time around was that the skid plate seem to be causing some of the rust. On mine the plate held dirt and water on the bottom side of the tank. When I put the new tank in took a 1/4" drill and made alot of holes for the water to get out. I don't know if this is a cure but it sure doesn't hurt. Also, I held the tank up with a floor jack when unbolting. That way you can lower it slowly and check for any hoses.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I once had a tank rust out on a Scout. Same problem, I found a bunch of gravel and stuff caught between the tank and skid plate. The scout had seen a lot of Vermont snow, and I think the gravel was probably cinders/salt from snowy roads. Ate right through the tank!

NormSpeed
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 03:30 PM

Here is a piece of hard-earned advice: If the Skid Plate is rusted pretty bad, replace it with a new one (from the dealer). When I changed out my rusty, leaking tank I didn't have time to hunt down a new skid plate so I slapped in the fresh tank with the old rusted one. I swore I'd get around to changing that skid plate one of these days. Eventually, I did: after the entire tank was torn out from under my Bronco during a baja. She said: "I think something fell off the truck." I didn't believe her until I looked 100 yards behind me and saw me fresh tank (now mangled and dented). sitting in the mud Needless to say, that ruined the weekend for me and my Bronco. I ended up buying another new tank and a skid plate. I'd wished that I would've changed that skid plate the first time....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode