Gassing up a 86 Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2000, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gassing up a 86 Bronco

Hi, I have an 86 Bronco w/351W with a carb, My problem is that when filling the gas tank it takes FOREVER.. the nozzles keep shutting off... sometimes its ok, but that is very rare.. and when filling a 32 gallon tank... patiences runs out Real quick....

Anyone have this problem before???

Uzi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 02:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Gassing up a 86 Bronco

I have the same problem with my 87 Bronco, and I know its enough to drive you crazy. I dont know what the problem is or how to realy fix it, but a temporary fix that I have been doing is holding the gas pump upside down. Don't ask me how, but it works. Hopefully someone else knows how to solve this problem the right way.
Tom

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 09:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem. I was able to fix it when I replaced the tank. I found the rubber hose from the tank to the gas cap was dry rotted and collapsed. Make sure you get the "blow back" tube, that is in side the hose, is in the correct place. Get a hose that is designed for the Bronco, any old hose will not do.

headers on a 6 banger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2000, 03:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 86 XLT has the same problem.

Have you replaced the gas tank recently? My problem started the first time that my tank was replaced, the new fuel filling hose used was just a bit too long and it kinked when the the new tank was installed. I found this out the first time I had to fill up the tank... it took so long that I just stopped at a couple bucks of gas and drove back to have it fixed.

That was 2 years ago. Since then I've had to replace the tank AGAIN... lucky it was under warranty (my truck has taken a beating from very harsh New England winters over the years) The problem came back. Unfortunatly, this time I can't figure it out. Everything seems fine on the truck. All I do now is put the gas pump handle in sideways and it works! ... Maybe the filler needs to be rotated?

It still drives me crazy every now and then, but I haven't gotten around to looking into it any further. It doesn't happen at all gas pumps for me... maybe some pump slower than others? Oh, one other thing... a gas attendant once told me that on some Fords, the filling hose is almost parrallel to the ground. So much so that if the gas station pavement has a slight downgrade in the opposite direction, the fuel line becomes level and filling is almost impossable. He says to drive the truck around and gas up on the other side of the pump... WITH the downgrade, not against it. I don't know if this really works or not. I only remember to try it when the gas stations are packed and theres no room on the other side.

If anyone has anymore info, please post it
Thanks
riff-raff

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My '86 doesn't have that problem, but my motorhome does. It also has a filler neck that is close to parallel. The problem is in the breather hose. It has a dip in it where gas collects and closes off the vent while filling. I don't know if you have the same thing happening but wanted to help with another idea.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2000, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sounds like your breather tube is collapsed, i changed mine and used a peice off garden hose and it works fine

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Were is the breather tube located, inside the hose or next to the tank........??????????

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Pooh-Bah

Resurrecting a real old thread.[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Yep, got that problem here too.
Just thought it was a natural "Bronco" thing.
There's times when it'll take 10 minutes or longer to fill up.[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
And, God forbid, they've got the vapor recovery piece installed on the pumps. Like you Oregon folks![img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I had to go to 3 different stations in Clackamas before I could get the tank filled.
Course, there was no self-serve there either.[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
The last station, the attendant stuck a pen between the filler neck and the rubber gasket/cover on the pump nozzle.
Finally got enough gas to get home.
Anyone fixed this?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

Old trucks like yours (and mine BEFORE I swapped to a newer filler neck) have a small thin accordioned breather tube inside the filler neck slipped onto a tab in the metal part of the neck. If it comes loose or collapses or kinks, you'll have trouble filling. Later ones use a larger heavier tube inside to carry the gas into the tank and the filler neck is the breather. I think I used one from an '87-91 pickup for a while, then went to the '92-96 style because the cap is on a strap, so it's a LOT harder to lose it! [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2002, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had this problem too till I had to replace the in-tank pump. When I droped the tank to get to the pump I pulled that little hose out and have not had a problem since. Had to pull a little not too hard though to get it to come out. Hope this helps and Good Luck,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode