What rearend? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2000, 06:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What rearend?

OK. I got the front-end fixed, now on to the rear. The rear-end has alot of play in it and I would like to upgrade to a more heavy duty unit. Anyone have any suggestions on what to get? And if so, where do I get it? Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2000, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What rearend?

Some Quesions
What size tires are you running, your original gear ratio?
do you wnat to run a locker, soft locker?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2000, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

At the moment, I'm running 31x10.5's and the factory gearing is 3:55. I'm planning on installing 33x12.5's, but I want to beef the drivetrain first and right now I'm not ready to lay down the money for the lift needed to accomodate the larger tires. I was kinda hoping to keep the 3:55's so I wouldn't have to change the front also. I'm not a big off-roader, but I do frequent the Outer Banks of NC about 3-4 times a year for fishing, so I assume the 3:55's would do fine. I'm really interested in knowing what brand to look at: Factory Ford 9-inch or what? Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2000, 09:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Ford 9" would definatly be a beef up! It has been my experience that the 8.8 is very durable though. I have been running it in my mustang for many years at the drag strip and never had problems. A 8.8 with a fresh set of parts and gears will last at least 100,000 miles it not sevierly abused and maintained properly. But if you want a 9", it will never break with 33's and a stock motor. It depends on how serious you are going. 3.55's will be ok for 33's, I am running 3.55 with 35's and it isn't too bad.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 01:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just checking, but do you have rear anti-lock brakes, and what year Bronco do you have?

The reason I ask is because I have a í91 with an 8.8 Rear end with rear-anti-lock. And the sensor for the rear anti-lock is located on the housing of the 8.8. And as far as I know it is the only rear end with that area for the sensor. Meaning that any rear end would not work, unless you scrap the anti-lock, and then I donít know what the ECC will do to the drivability of the vehicle.

Just thought I would mention it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You don\'t even say what year Bronco you have!

You could have a 78-79 with the 9" for all we know... If you have a 86-up you have the 8.8, which a lot of 5.0 Mustang guys abuse regularly with 300 HP stoplight launches... I say stick with the 8.8 until it breaks (if it ever does)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry Dave. It is a '96. I mentioned it in my Warn hub post but forgot to do so in this one. So, it seems everyone thinks the 8.8 with a new ring & pinion would be fine, especially the Mustang boys. Well I too, was once a Mustang man, but mine were 1966 models. I assume that would be the cheaper way to go, so it sounds good to me. Any other suggestions? How about the stock driveshaft? Is it fairly durable?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2000, 03:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just keep the 8.8. It has 31 spline axles, and is generally considered a good solid rearend. I have 32x11.5.15's on my stock rear now, and they're fine. You can beef up the rearend with an Eaton Positraction unit, 4.10 gears, and all new hardware. I'm going with those in mine shortly. After I read an article about the ford drivetrain in one of my 4x mags, I've totally scrapped the idea of a 9-inch. The call I made to Randy's Ring & Pinion was very helpful, their techs are friendly and knowledgable.

1994 Ford Bronco XLT - 302cid, E4OD, 32x11.5x15 Dunlop Rover RV, Rancho RS5000
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 8.8 is a pretty strong axle, even in its stock form. I run 32s with 3.55 axle ratio and don't have a problem. A friend ran 33s with his 302 and (I think 3.55 axles) and it was a bit sluggish in the hills, but he liked the big tires.

I would first lift it, second go to 33s and third change the axle ratio. You may find its OK after driving it with 33s and 3.55 axles. It will be abit slower but may be fine. As far as the rest of the drivetrain, just keep it lubed.

I'd save the money for the R&P upgrade and try it before spending it. you may find you have a few hundred to spend on something else.

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
http://www.jps.net/~khoover88 Bronco * FOR SALE *
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 06:30 AM
mudmonger

Here are a couple of ideas to beef up the stock rearend to handle about anything. First would be a "girdle". This is a differential cover that incorporates a pair of pre-load bolts to put extra pressure on the bearing caps that hold the diff in place. This extra pre-load helps to stop ring gear deflection during heavy use or acceleration. This will increase the strength of the gears. Most of these are made of aluminum, look tough, hold extra fluid, have drain plugs(yeah!), and cost under $150. Summit, TCI, and Trick Flow are a few makers of these. Another awesome peice is the Warn full floater conversion for this rearend. This eliminates the need for the c-clips and puts all the load on new spindles and bearings instead of the axle shafts them selves. The kit comes with everything to convert the axle including locking hubs and axle shafts. This means if you break an axle the tire will stay on and you can unlock the hub to prevent further damage or even pull just the hub off and get out part of the broken axle. Another benefit would be the ability to unlock all four hubs and flat tow with out worrys. This option is way more expensive though-don't know for sure, but, it has to be over $500. Hope these ideas help some. Laters.

NUFF SAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode