Tip on improving hp for free... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2000, 02:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tip on improving hp for free...

If you own a fuel injected bronco, here is a little tip on how to get about 5 extra hp. Your stock airbox has a hoze that runs from it to the top of the engine compartment. This air hose has a baffle in it, reduces air flow and causes turbulance in the incoming air. Remove it and replace your stock pannel filter with a K&N filter. You will notice a difference in power for about $40.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2000, 05:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tip on improving hp for free...

The hose from the stock airbox is the breather hose for your valve cover. Inside the air box, it has a filter on it. The other two hoses are your intake hoses. They are about 2" in diameter. I have never seen any baffles in these hoses. I am not sure what else you are refering to, but if it is the breather hose, it sure won't improve your horsepower. As for the K&N air filter, I have found that it will increase your top end horsepower, but reduces your low end torque. The Filtercharger does the same, but also increases the engine noise. I have exparamented a bunch and have found that the stock induction and exhaust gives me the best all-around setup. It is quiet, lots of torque, resonable horsepower, and gets good gas milage (10-16mpg)

Curtis
93 bronco 351w
33"BFG KO
4" Rancho

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2000, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is the air inlet that the air from the outside travels through first before it reaches the air box. On this attachment is has a part number and says "baffle". It helps to keep the engine quieter but restricts air flow from the outside to the air box and creates turbulance because the hoze has ribbs on it. It is the retangular opening that is attached to the top of the grill in the very front of the engine compartment. As for the exhause, I had great improvements when I added headers, a high flow cat, a three chamber flowmaster, all 3" and single. I got rid of the front 2 into 1 cat and have a custom y-pipe. I ran my truck on a g-tech meter after each modification and ran .28 of a second faster with the exhaust and about .08 with the induction modification I performed. That translates into about 25 hp. I have also been averaging 1-3 mpg better per tank after these modifications. I have noticed perhaps a tiny loss of torque under 2000 rpm but the increase in power after 2500 more than makes up for it. The truck performes better at highway speeds and has more gusto when I go to the sand dunes.

Chris442
92 Bronco 5.0
7" lift, 35's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2000, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you can also set your timing to 12-15*'s, just remember to set it back to 10* for the snife test...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2000, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

true,I did that on my mustang and it did help, but you then need to run super unleaded gas. These gas guzzeling machines would get too expensive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode