Check Engine light (O2) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 05:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check Engine light (O2)

I just bought my 92 Bronco with 113,000 miles. The very first day the "Check Engine" light came on. Back to the "used car" dealer it went.
They decoded the fault as this:
The computer (on the bronco) is looking for TWO O2 sensors. The only o2 sensor on the truck is working fine.(Like I said there is only one) At least thats what they say(they unplugged it and the engine put out another "rich" code so they assumed the sensor was working. My question is this: Could this be a "computer" problem? or a bad O2 sensor or what?
They told me to contact a local ford dealer to find out if there was a "recall" on this problem
Please help us figure this out because they are trying to find out the cause also!
Jon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 06:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Check Engine light (O2)

I am pretty sure there is NO recall. When does it go on or does it go on and off?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 05:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Asswipe,
The light comes on "once in a while" say every 15-30 miles -.
It will stay on for a few miles then goes off. The first time it came on was when I booted it in the ass to test the responce of the 5.0. But it comes on and goes off when it feels like it.
The trucks seems to run fine. But I want to know why it is coming on.
Jon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 08:40 AM

Hi
I have a 92 351 bronco with 122000. It has only one O2 sensor and 2 cats with a single exhaust.

Good luck

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2000, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Bronco's only have one CO2 sensor, and it is in a section that connects the two lenghts of the Y-pipe into one. That is so the CO2 sensor can read from both sides of the engine at one. I would think that it was just another shortcut by ford to aviod having to put two on the Broncos.

Anyway, the CO2 sensor can be bought a almost any automotive parts store for about $45.00. I would say get one and see what happens. It is a part that the ECC demands on having, so a new one could't hurt in replacing.

If you still get the code, then you may want to have somewhere check the codes again, and when they do make sure they clear all codes from the ECC memory.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 01:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the technician said the 02 is bad, why dont you believe him??? Your making the problem too big, it needs to be replaced...O2 sensers are a replacement item just like plugs,wires, etc,,The computer relies on its sensors, so if one is bad, its in open loop, which causes a rich mixture...kick down the $50, replace it...The shop will then have to erase the code with their computer....chad

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 01:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It would be nice to know what codes they are getting. Common problem areas have been : hego sensor, fuel pressure regulator, and battery acid getting into hego wires which run along the positive cable to the starter on some models. Ford Tech.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode