To 4X4 or not to 4X4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2000, 11:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To 4X4 or not to 4X4

As you may know we are having a snow storm in the north east. I have swapped the rear gears in my 89 FS Bronco but didn't get around to doing the front gears yet.

Does anybody know what could happen to my truck if I drive it with lets say 3.08 gears in the front and 4.56 gears in the back. Will it hurt the drivetrain if the 4x4 is engaged only when in deep snow or slippery surfaces.

Thanks,

Bravoman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 01:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: To 4X4 or not to 4X4

If the roads are slippery enough to necessitate 4wd, it wouldn’t hurt your drivetrain. BUT, with such a large difference between the gears, you’re going to get some real funky handling. The front tires are going to be spinning almost 50% faster (assuming same size tires). I never tried it, nor do I want too. Take it to an empty snowy parking lot and try, see how interesting things get and let us know.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 01:18 AM

I live in the noth east and am also doing a gear change. I'm going from 3.50 to 456 and I am going to wait until both can be done. I would not even think of doing one and not the other. If you have to drive it with two gears take the front driveshaft out just for safety. If it ever did engage you would find out quick. based on a truck with 35 inch tires driven at 3000rpm with a 1/1 trans and tcase ratio, the 456 rearend would turn at 68.5 mph and the frontend with 308 would spin at 101.5 mph.
the other option is to run a 23.6 inch diameter tire in the front then the ratios would equal each other.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 07:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've tried it and I don't like it. I got stuck in some pretty deep snow thanks to a plow. I engaged 4hi and got out no problem. I drove a little on some snow about an inch or two deep and it felt strange. It's not something I'll be doing again unless absolutly necessary. Since I have manual lockers I'm not worried about having different size gears because it won't engage by accident.

Thanks for the replies,

Bravoman

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 05:26 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>You don't want to drive it like that. With the front spinning too fast, the front tires won't grip & therefore, you won't be able to steer [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode