4-wheel drive ?'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2000, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4-wheel drive ?\'s

I just bought a '96 Bronco w/ a 302 about 2 weeks ago. If you have seen the news, you know about the big snowstorm we are having here in NC. This is how I know I have a problem. When I went out to go to the store this morning, I put the Bronco In 4-Hi.When I started to back up, as the motor revved up slightly, the 4x4 engaged with a hard clang. I then stopped to put it in drive and once again, as the motor revved, it engaged very hard. It seems that it stays engaged as long as I am moving. But anytime I stop and start again it disengages and re-engages as the RPM's pick up. I really need the truck this week to get to work but I am afraid I'm going to tear something up. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Jarrod Holland ( w/ cabin fever)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2000, 08:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BIG PROBLEM Leave it in 2wd!!!

It sounds more like a slipping torque converter to me, But obviously, if it only happens in 4wd, it must not be... You're hubs might need serviced, at the least, or your transfer case is messed up. How many miles are on it? Did the 4wd work when you bought it? (You DID test it didn't you?) What tranny does it have? I'd leave it in 2wd for now until you figure out what's wrong!!!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 09:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: BIG PROBLEM Leave it in 2wd!!!

You could check if your hubs are unlocked when they shouldn't be.
Engage 4HI and drive at least 10 feet reasonably straight. Then put it in Park (or Rev. if a stick), leave 4HI engaged, shut it off.
Both hubs should still be engaged. Check this by jacking up front wheel, then try rotating tire forward or backwards by hand. Should only rotate a tiny bit to pick up slack in joints then stop, if both hubs are locked. Do this to both wheels.
If it turns freely (only drag the pads on the disc), then that hub isn't locked, for whatever reason. If one turns harder, but still turns, it could be that the other side hub is unlocked, and you're turning the axle shaft and diff. Look underneath to see if axle shaft is turning. Also, the front drive shaft from T-case to diff should not be rotating when you do this (other than pickup of play inside). If your front driveshaft is the one thats turning, then your T-case isn't really in 4HI, for whatever reason.
About the clunks... if your hubs were unlocked, and you spun a rear wheel, the front drive shaft would be spinning faster, and can hit the hubs hard when they engage. I believe the owners manual points out to try not to spin wheels while engaging (yeah, I know its not your fault!).
Sounds like a real mess in NC. You really need 4WD now!
Post back if you get any more info. BTW... a new Ford auto-hub is $236 at dealer... priced one in December. I have one strange hub, thats different than the other (on the outside, the strange one has 3 Torx screws on cover, rather than 5 screws, like my other one, which is what I usually see on Bronc's). " Rockcrawler" (on this board) says its a newer-style Ford hub, maybe like yours. I took it apart and figured out how it works. Then put it back on.
Good luck, let us know!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 06:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well. I have made no headway. With all the snow, I can't get anywhere dry to jack it up and check it out. I do have one more question though. I was planning to replace the hubs with stronger ones anyway. I was wondering if any aftermarket companies make auto-locking hubs or do I need to convert to manual? And in either case, what brand do you suggest? One more thing. I read the discussion about the 3 or 5 torx head screws in the hub. Well, I don't know what it means, but mine is a '96 and it has only 3. I'll keep you posted when I figure out what the problem is.

Jarrod Holland

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2000, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know if anyone else makes Auto-hubs. I'd like to know that myself. I plan on keeping mine auto, as I like the ability to change over instantly. For Manual hubs, many seem to prefer Warn's Premium hubs. Let me know what you find out with your problem. Sounds like more snow is heading your way.
UncleDon

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4-wheel drive ?\'s

Well, I finally got it to the shop today and (wouldn't you know it), the hubs are tore up. So they are being replaced with Warn Premium Manual locking hubs as we speak. I hope this does the trick. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for the help.
Jarrod Holland

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2000, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I finally had the same noticable racheting noise with my 4WD.(especially when it's off 4H and the hubs were locked) I am curious to know how well the manual hubs worked out.My warranty expires 4/01 and i don't know if I should change it? By the way my hubs were originally with 5 torx screws and after I made numerous complaint they found it faulty and replaced it with the 3 torx screw which they claimed was better and a replacement of the 5 torx screw one.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2000, 11:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the WARN manual locking hubs on my '91 Bronco, after getting rid of the Auto-Lock ones. The AUTO-Locking ones have to engage and try to stay engaged. The manual ones lock the hubs and stay locked until you stop and unlock them, and there is no moving parts trying to engage. It engages when you turn the dial (or what ever you call it) and that-is-that. I have had no problems with mine. So, I would go with WARN.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 01:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

technoman, can you leave the manual hubs lock for long period of time? Is it also easy to replace with manual and if I can do it myself. I have some tools , common sense and the Ford Service Manual. By the way does anyone know if you can go fast on 4HI, like 50 or maybe 60MPH. (Heavy Rain) . PLease advice and Thanks....

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 02:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They say that driving for extended periods of time in 4WD is not recommended, but you will notice that you are not to engage the 4WD unless you are under 50mph. But the driving in 4WD on the highway depends on your gears.

When we had the ice storm here in North Georgia I had my 4WD engaged while driving 55mph, but would not push it past that. My knowledge of 4WD's is still new to me. All my life I have had Kawasaki Ninja motorcycles (3) and Mazda RX-7's (3). Now I have changed into a Sit-Up-High and take no terrain prisoner type of individual. Just got tired of not having any cargo room, and always scrapping my ass on the asphalt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode