sway bar, why remove it - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

sway bar, why remove it

Does removing the sway bar help flex? Does it have negative effects?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: sway bar, why remove it

yes it helps flex alot. After I removed mine I think I got about four or five extra inches of downward wheel travel. The only negative effects are a tiny bit of increased body sway (i compromised this by adjusting my rs9000s so they are stiffer)and I had to get new shocks because mine turned out to be too short for the extra wheel travel I gained after I removed the swaybar.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: sway bar, why remove it

I removed my sway bars when I installed a 6" lift kit. So far I haven't noticed any difference, making turns even on the highway. Possibly because the suspension is so stiff it compensates.

Try it and see if theres a difference if not leave it off.

later,
Bravoman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Repost about swaybar dissconnects

My 88 Fullsize Bronco is my everyday vehicle and occasional trail vehicle. I wanted to get some more flex on the trail, but I like being able to take highway on ramps at a decent speed. So after a short search for quick dissconnects for the swaybars came I decided no one makes them for our trucks, (or anything but a jeep for that matter) I decided that someone should, so I designed my own...
It all started when I was replacing the rear swaybar bushings after they got mangled on the trail, I used rubber shock bushings (they're the same size) and instead of replacing the stock rusted nut, I used a stainless wingnut and fender washer. I also replaced the upper bolts and nuts with new ones, so they would swing easier, using nuts with nylon locking insterts. I tightened them down just enough so that I could still swing them up, but they would stay up by themselves. The nylon nuts help keep them from loosening each time you dissconnect them. I'm still trying to figure out a good way of strapping the swaybar up out of the way when it's dissconnected. For now, I'm using a bungy cord to pull the top of it back towards the rear. Wrap it around the swaybar over the diff. and hook it to the brake bracket.
The front was a bit trickier... I unbolted the links, and had to pry and pull the swaybar so that the front of it was above the mounting brackets. So that the bar can be swung up and strapped to the frame. (The links will stand in the air when connected.) I used all new bolts again, but replaced the bottom ones with a clevis pin and 2 fender washers/side. To unhook it, just pull the pins, and strap the bar to the frame (again, for now I'm using a bungy cord) Some possible headaches with the front... The lower brackets may need bent a little so that the pin lines up easily. And I think I switched the links from side to side. They have a little twist to them, so you may have to experiment a little.
Overall, not to difficult a project, and very cheap! If anyone has any comments or additional input, I'd be glad to see them! I'm going to test them out on an offroad trip this weekend, so I'll post what I think of them... I have driven a 2wd f-150 without swaybars before, and to me (owner of a Mustang) it felt like it was going to tip over in turns... My Bronco handles much better with both swaybars!!! And I don't think I'd like driving it every day without them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode