0 to 60 in 7 seconds!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2000, 12:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

0 to 60 in 7 seconds!!

I was checking out the power of my truck. I figured it would be ok now that the wear in period of my new gears is over. From a dead stand still I mashed on the gas and before you know it I was doing 60 mph. At around 65 mph it went from second to third gear. I have a 351W FS Bronco with the C6 tranny. I swapped the original 3.11 gears for 4.56's and a Detroit EZ-Locker.

This is where my problem kicks in. Now when I make a right turn the passanger side wheel is supposed to remain locked and the driver side wheel is supposed to disengage. What is happening now is the passanger side tire is not locking and is making a horrible clunking sound almost as if it were breaking. I took of the diff cover and everything seem to be ok, the gears look good too.

Anybody know what could be the problem.

Thanks,
Bravoman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2000, 08:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 0 to 60 in 7 seconds!!

From what little I know about lockers, there should b a clicking noise noise when turning. Were there shims for alignment? Is it possible something got loose or in the wrong place? Just some random musings.

headers on a 6 banger
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2000, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I first installed the lockers I did hear clicking when I made turns. This problem has just started. When I took off the diff cover everything looked right. When I raised both tires off the ground they seemed to lock correctly. This problem only happens when I make a right turn. I can't get a hold of anyone at Tractec to get some answers..

Still Looking For Answers,

Bravoman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 01:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Verdict.

I spoke with Tractec and they told me the problem could be that the teeth have rounded and this is causing the problem. I've only put about 300 miles on these lockers and the only remedy is to replace them. Like hell I am, they said that in time they're gonna wear out again.

If I knew that these Detroit Ez-Lockers were gonna be such garbage that they wouldn't even hold up for a couple of months I would have never put them in. I guess I'll go back to the open diffs until I can afford an alternate option.

Thanks everybody,

Bravoman

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2000, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have heard of similer problems, come to find out the axle housing was bent causing premature wear on the locker teeth. Just something to check.
I have had the EZ in the rear of my 86 Suzuki Samurai and have had no problems yet, and the rear housing on my zuk is VERY thin.
with 300 miles on it and the teeth are worn out I'd say find the root problem before ANY other locking diff is installed.
also did you use the factory side gear shims AND the shims with the locker??

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode