Headliner Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Headliner Help

The headliner on my 87 Bronco has been comming apart from the roof for the last few years. Now its totally sagging. Is their anything I can do about this without installing a new headliner?
Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Headliner Help

I don't think so. Here's how I fixed one on a full-sized wagon about 2 years ago. The original material was foam-backed cloth, that was glued onto a backer-board (like a heavyweight cardboard). With age, the foam disintegrates, spots appear, and wherever anybody/thing touches it, it lets go. I pulled all the trim off, and pulled out both backer boards (had a front section, and a back section, like Bronco, but a lot longer!).
Ripped off cloth, then wire-brushed the old adhesive off.
Got reasonable colored foam-backed fabric for that purpose from a fabric store (take wife along), and 3M "FoamFast 74" spray adhesive there also.
Cut fabric to overlap an inch or so on each edge, then spray 1/2 of backer board both ways overlapping. Then spray the matching 1/2 of cloth the same way. Then roll sticky cloth onto sticky board, it tacks immediately, no repositioning is possible!
Then fold loose 1/2 of cloth over, and do remaining board and cloth. Any adhesive you get on the face side of the cloth will be there forever, so, don't!
If the backer board has folds in it, its important that you approximate those angles when you glue this thing together, otherwise cloth may crease, or pull away at fold line.
When dry, trimmed fabric back to edge of board, poke/cut holes where needed for wires, visors, etc. (look on back side of board for holes).
The adhesive was like $10-15 a can, and I used 2 cans, I think. The cloth was pretty cheap. Was a pretty simple job.
In my case (you probably won't have this problem), I had to fabricate a tool out of 1/2 inch metal banding for skids, to create a trim molding puller to pull off all the moldings that used metal clips into the inside roof edge, before I could get backer board out. No readily available tool could pull the trim without cracking windshield (bummer!), so I fabbed the Ford-recommended gizmo tool just as they directed.
Emergency fix till it can be got to, is the old standby... Duct Tape? NO, Push-Pins! But wouldn't recommend Push-Pins if small children will ride!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2000, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Headliner Help

Thanks a lot for all the information UncleDon. It sounds like a good plan. I'll probably take care of it next sunday and I'll let you know how everything worked out.
By the way, Duct Tape did cross my mind a few times but that just wouldn't be right.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode