Swapping in a Killer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2000, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Swapping in a Killer

I know I can swap a Dana 60 rear-end into my '78 Bronco but was there a Dana 60 made that i can swap into the front or should I just go with the HD Dana 44.
Is there a real benefit with the dana 60 over a 3/4ton 44.
Or is there something even better than these two.
Any help would be appreciated.

Dave
'78 Bronco

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2000, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Swapping in a Killer

Sorry I cant help you with your question. Instead I have a few questions for ya. I own a 1990 Bronco with the TTB/IFS (whatever) Anyways, I'd really like to swap in a solid front. I know I can take a dana 44 from a 78-79 Bronco, but I'd like to know if the same (same track width and diff location)dana 44 came in any other vehicles. What is this dana44 HD you are talkin about? If have any info please let me know.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 09:18 AM
TEX

<font color=purple> Actually, there's no significant advantage to a 44HD over your 1/2 ton 44. You'd still have the same size axle shafts and ring&pinion. My understanding on the best way to swap in a 60 is to find a junk 44 from a very early 1/2 ton. The tabs & mounts for the coil springs are not part of the housing on the early frontends (they are on later trucks like your '78), they're sort of tacked on. You can remove what you need & adapt it to the 60 front. Guys I know who have done it claim it not to be much of a chore, but they're pretty decent fabricators. If you're talented cuttin' & weldin', it should be no sweat. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 12:03 PM
mudmonger

>>>>Just to answer a question on axles-the HD44 is the same as the standard 44 except it is made for a 3/4 ton. This means it has 8 lug hubs instead of 5. I believe the ball joints may be different too. The axle shaft strength, differentials, and ring and pinons were the same. This is the same on the twin-beam axles too. And, keep in mind that both HD axles have spring perches for leaf springs, not coils. Roland---don't forget the F-150 and Bronco at this time were mechanically the same in many ways---the front axle set-up was the same between both and had the same track widthes and diff placement-either would be great donor. Hope this helps. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure about the with of the axles but i do know that in the 1970's f-250 came a heavy duty dana 44 front axle rated at 3/4 ton instead of the f-150 at 1/2 ton

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I was to swap a solid Dana 44, from a 78-79 Bronco, into my 90 Bronco, would I need new coil springs. If so would they be smaller or bigger?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode