Downshifting the E4OD or how to grind your teeth in a big rig! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2000, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Downshifting the E4OD or how to grind your teeth in a big rig!

I have a 1990FS Bronco 351w,I have to depress my accel pedal close to two inches in order to drop down a gear. Also while in 'Cruise' it will not down shift. Is this a pain or what? Anyone have a fix, adjustment, or support group? this really drives me nuts having to stomp the loud pedal to the floor to downshift. Or reaching for the dash mounted OD button. any help? By the way when you "spellcheck" BRONCO it suggests [Brontosaurus] it must be familiar with my beast lol!

Jess Conrad
90' FS Bronco 351 10 MPG hawg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 09:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Downshifting the E4OD or how to grind your teeth in a big rig!

My '94 FS Bronco 351w E4OD 3.55 diff, 31inch tires, sure doesn't act like that. It's fine, no complaint. The E4OD is controlled by the EEC processor, and uses a lot of the same sensor inputs for running the engine, as it does for shifting the trans. To my knowledge, there is nothing to adjust. Since you can force a 4-3 downshift by using the switch (the EEC reads the switch), that seems to say the trans is OK there. How does the engine itself run, OK?
There is one sensor (trans oil temp) that at least my '94 has, that is used by the EEC only for trans control.
By chance, do you have big tires on it, with the original diff. ratio's?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have original gears 3.55 and 32x11.5 BFG AT's one size over stock. Dont think that would cause a problem to the extent I have but what do you think?
My engine has been rebuilt 30,000 ago seems to run great but she's no racer! I would have expected her to be quicker what with all 351 gas suckin inches screamin! Don't get me wrong I love my big ole beast maybe shes a stump puller if she ain't a throughbred! Thanks for taking the time to help!
Jess Conrad
90' FS Bronco 351 10 MPG hawg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2000, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree. Some quick work with the calculator shows if my 31's are really 31, and your 32's are really 32, then over a mile your tires turn about 20 fewer times. So at 60 MPH, in third gear (OD locked out, so trans is straight through to make it easy), trans output is 71 RPM lower (20 times the 3.55 diff.), so engine RPM is only 71 RPM lower (working backward from rear wheels to engine).

Sounds to me like something else is not quite right. Wonder if a code reader would find something. Also worth checking that everything was hooked up right, if the problem started after the engine work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode