coolant leaking from hole in bottom of water pump?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

coolant leaking from hole in bottom of water pump??

I have a 93/351 and it appears that I have a coolant leak from the hole (weep hole?) in the bottom of the water pump and/or from the bottom of the seal between the pump and the engine. I think it's just from the hole, but it's hard to tell because it runs down from the hole in the pump and drips right where the pump meets the engine. Do I need a new seal, pump, or could it be something else? Also, if I put on a new pump, is there just a gasket or do I have to put some sealant from a tube on there? Thanks a million...love the forum.
Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 05:38 PM

Re: coolant leaking from hole in bottom of water pump??

Coolant drips from the Weep Hole when the seal on your water pump goes bad. You need to install a rebuilt pump (about 20 bucks). All they do is clean up old pumps and put in a new seal and bearing). They usually come with a gasket. I usually smear bothe sides of the gasket with a little RTV to ensure a good seal. Torque the bolts to spec when you're done. Good luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it's coming from the pump's weep hole, then the pump's shaft seal is going. That's the usual failure mode for water pumps. If, by chance, its leaking from the gasket at the back of the pump, you might as well replace the pump anyway, for all the labor you will expend to do the job. Water pump usually comes with a new gasket, and usually apply Non-hardening Sealer (Lock-tite #2? Somebody's number 2, I think, maybe in a black tube, check the fine print for antifreeze compatibility) evenly and sparingly to one side to hold the gasket. Replacement Pump will have sealer directions and torque's for bolts/nuts. More sealer is NOT better! Keep it thin.
Now's a good time to replace a hose or two, also (don'tcha love these "opportunities"). I would carefully cut the old hose off the radiator, rather than twisting or yanking and risk ruining the radiator. Rod Stewart had a song "The First Cut Is the Deepest", he must have worked on radiator hoses once, and scored the hose neck!!
I don't remember at the moment if the pump intake hose also includes the oil cooler Tee thing, or if the lower hose can be separated from that. That's assuming yours has an oil cooler. If you replace the hose with the cooler Tee in it, I'd be interested in knowing how many $$ they want for a good one. I have no idea!
UncleDon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, Broncoloco, you posted while I was still writing... About them "Rebuilding" pumps that you mentioned, I went through 2 rebuilt Power Steering Pumps in one week once. Each rebuilt pump leaked worse out the shaft seal than the one before, and both worse than what I was replacing! I think somebody there was just taking 'em out of the "IN" pile, painting them, then puttin' 'em in the "OUT" pile!
I got lotsa practice on replacing PS pumps on a Ford 302!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2000, 10:07 PM

Hey UncleDon: I know what you mean: they just slap on some nice, fresh, blue paint and make it look like new. I think that they do replace the bearing and seal (sometimes). I know that Ford has a Steering Parts Rebuild factory in Mexico. Maybe the Seal Guy likes taking Siestas.....

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2000, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hiya,

I thought the problem was a bad water pump in my 86 bronco, but during the replacement of the pump, I noticed 2 of the bolts that were supposed to hold the pump on were siezed up in the timing chain cover. So off the the junkyard I went... and $20 bucks later I had another cover..
While in there I replaced the timing chain...

Just a thought..

-Uzi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode