About to buy a Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2000, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

About to buy a Bronco

I am looking at buying an 82 XLT with 88k original miles on it. I have read through the Bronco FAQ but it does not clarify one thing for me. According to what it says there the only motor was one of two versions of the 351.Is this correct? I am buying a Bronco because my family has grown to two children and we just never have enough room in our current car. It will be a daily driver so I am hoping this 82 is outfitted with the 302, the owner told me he was sure it was a V8 but not sure teh size. What else do I need to pay close attention to on this Bronco? Also, I want to install a TV/VCR in it for my two kids when we travel. The ones I have found are expensive, too much for me. Any ideas from any of you who have built these homemade. I would like to have them mounted into a homemade console.

Thanks for your help!!
Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: About to buy a Bronco

I've always heard that the 351 is a stronger engine. I don't think you'd get much better gas mileage with a 302. I have an 86 XLT 302 and I get about 11 mpg.

NormSpeed
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had an 82 Bronco for a while. Hated it! It had the worst year for emmission controls. Make sure you are not getting one with the Variable Ventury carb on it. No one knows how to work on this and they suck. The manual don't cover it either. The 82 Bronco came with the 6 cyl 300, 8-302, and the 8-351. There may have been 2 and 4 barrel carb versions of both of the V8s. I am not sure for that year. The biggest question yu should have in your mind is that there are NO daily driven vehicles from 1982 with only 88K miles. It is more like 188,000 miles! don't be fooled. Mine showed 10k. I figured it had 110k, but after working on it for several months it became clear that is was probably 210k. Check the pcv hose at the valve cover and see how much "smoke" is blowing out it. Look at the air filter and make sure that it is not oily. If you are not buying it as a fixer upper, you might not want to buy an 82. Good luck!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] MG48 - 88 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Honestly, look at a 4-door explorer, or...

If you are looking for a family truckster, pass on the Bronco. The back seat is very hard to get to. Whether your'e putting full-grown people, or a child in a car seat, it takes some finageling for either. I love my Bronco, but I'm a single guy, that just hauls his girlfriend around. I also put my dogs in the back. But anytime I have to haul 3-4 people around, they get a pretty good stretch and flex workout routine in! If you dead-set on an older Bronco, get a fuel injected one. I picked up my 88 Eddie Bauer loaded with a 302, AOD and 103,000 miles for under $5000. The deals are out there.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Honestly, look at a 4-door explorer, or...

I wish I could afford a decent 4 door Explorer!! I am looking for a family truckster and my budget is my limit. I am also looking at the maintenance end. That is one reason I did not want EFI, I know nothing about it and can't do the work on them, whereas with a carb I am at home so to say. I would rather have four doors but I guess I can really only afford 2!

Thanks for teh info though

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 09:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks ofr teh info I just wanted to clear up the fact that I am looking for a daily driver, not that this 82 was a daily driver. This is a nice truck from what I have seen. I have set up an appointment to really get a good look and have a mechanic check it out. The miles are definately original though!

Thanks!
Mike

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to agree with IndianaDave, buying a Bronco for family transportation is not such a good idea. I have a 1991 Silver Anniversary Edition 5.0 Bronco, married, and have a 2 yr. old little boy. Getting him in and out of the car seat in the back is a workout!

Oh, he loves it because he can see everything from his position, but going places and having to put him in and out is tiresome, not to mention that my wife hates having to try to climb in it. Of course, putting a 3” body lift and 32” meats didn’t help.

What is worse is I want to lift it 6” and put 36” meats on it. Hey, all my life I have had sports cars, and just now I started wanting to sit up higher that everyone else on the road. So, the Bronco is really a singles guy vehicle. I love mine, so I am willing to do the workout for my little boy so he can have his fun riding in daddy’s Bronco.

The choice is really your!

Oh, and I bought mine in excellent condition with no rust, dents, or troubles for $5000.00. So, the deals are definitely out there. You just have to carry cash and know how to say this is what I am offering – take it or leave it! Money talks, and I drive off happy!

Technoman

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2000, 01:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree about it it would be a hassle to belt little kids into car seats. But that's an adult problem. Kids who can belt themselves in shouldn't be a problem. Many of us grew up in families with only 2 door cars. Kids can climb in anywhere. If the adults complain about the step-up height, you could always put some of them little step things on it (gag!), and it would look more like an Expedition then (sneer!).
My 2 cents on carb vs. FI... They each have their pros and cons. For a given engine, stock, the FI will give better gas mileage, a bit more power, and better drivability, particularly during the warm-up period (a plus if your in a cold climate). The carb has it for simplicity, but you probably can learn FI. Unlikely that you can fix an FI problem on the side of the road, though. But if you have electronic ignition, it's unlikely you could solve a problem there if a module croaks, anyway. I grew up with carbs, had many of them, and have learned FI too. So to me its a toss-up. If I were buying a brand-new vehicle, would I want FI? Yup! But if an older vehicle struck my fancy, I wouldn't be put off by a carb.
About Variable Venturi carbs - That was Fords last gasp in carbs before FI took over. Had a 302 with 7200VV in a 82 Ford Battlewagon for 15 years. Just got rid of it recently. Still ran good. Not the best carb ever, thats for sure, but always met the emission test where I lived for years, no problem. Thought it would do better power-wise with a regular carb, but that wasn't an option there due to EPA.
If you do buy the 82, it probably has the VV carb. I've taken them apart and fixed them. I know what usually goes wrong with them, so give me a shout if you need help. Goodluck with whatever you choose!
UncleDon

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2000, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks to all of you for the advice on this. I look at the getting kids in and out as a temporary problem because it should cure itself as time goes on. Though they are both real young, oldest will be 2 in Feb and youngest will be 1!! They are very close!! Anyway, we wneed something big enough for all of us and our stuff and I have been looking at three vehicles in particular: Bronco, Blazer, and Suburban, with the Ford being the truck of choice but hard to find the right one. I am very picky about what I buy and I know there are deals out there. We just need something that will take us camping, fishing, to the in-laws in one trip with our stuff!! Currently we drive a four door midsize car and we have found it to be too small. Since this will be a "second" vehicle I wanted something 4WD to be able to go camping and all that. We are taking our time and being patient as we did when we bought our four door last year. I found it with 62k original miles and original owner who kept immacualte care of teh car. Anyway, I am trying to wait for that perfect Bronco but sometimes maybe I am too picky! In my eyes if I could find a lower mileage, well equiped Bronco with a 300 6 I woudl snatch it up in a heatbeat!
Anyway, thanks for all teh advice and please keep it coming!
Mike

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2000, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The advice everyone has given is all well and good but here are my 2cents worth. I have an 89 351W FS Bronco which was the only 351 offered in 82. Mine is fuel injected while yours won't be. If it's the 302 I would probably stay away from it. I have a wife (5'3") and she has a hard time getting in, no problem getting out, the kids have an even harder time but they think it's fun to drive in daddy's truck. I say who cares it's my truck. I also have a 6" sus. lift and a 3" body lift with 35" soon to be 40" tires. After all is said and done, getting in and out should be the least of your concerns. This truck is great for a daily driver (if you can afford the gas) and is great off road. Just recently I went to Home Depot and hauled home 30 sheets of 1/2" drywall, 7 sheets of 3/4" ply wood and 2 5gal buckets of joint compound with out a problem.

In closing if it's in good condition and the price is right jump on it. I've seen Bronco's that are being held together by rust, but they still run.

Good luck,

Bravoman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode