Auto-locking Hubs, Brand ID - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2000, 01:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Auto-locking Hubs, Brand ID

I took apart the front of the Bronco for the first time (for me). One Auto-locking Hub was a brand-x unit. I was wondering if anybody has one of these, to help me identify it:

a) The cover cap has 3 Torx screws, rather than the 5 of the Ford unit.
b) With the cover off, you see one big cylindrical chunk of aluminum, that sticks out about all the way to the cover. Can see nothing else, but the wire locking ring holding it in.
c) The wire locking ring had no tangs to grab onto (although maybe it had something once and broke off, don't know.
d) Inside, none of the typical Ford stuff (2 Locking nuts that use the special 4-prong socket, and the round lock ring with holes for pin on inner nut to fit into) were there.
e) Instead of the parts listed in (d), there was a threaded sleeve that acted like a nut, with a little half-turn of a circle lock to fit into keyway on the Spindle.
f) Another chunk of stuff (brake band, ring with ramps on it, another ring that can rotate some) fits between the threaded sleeve and the gear-tooth washer and C-ring that locks to the Stub Axle. This stuff is what drives the Inner Body locked on the Stub Axle Splines, outward into the big Outer Body described in (b), to Lock the Inner and Outer Bodies together when in 4WD.

Does any of this sound familiar? Who makes it?
I'm going to keep Auto-Locking, and have had no trouble with it (but it took me many hours to get that @#%#@ locking wire ring out, with no tangs on it!)
I though of putting in a Ford one, but $236 cost from the local blue oval took care of that thought!
Would like to know who makes this thing. Made wheel bearing adjustment real interesting. Nothing to grab onto to pre-seat the bearings!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2000, 01:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Auto-locking Hubs, Brand ID

The olderFord auto hubs had 5 torx bolts, the newer ones only have 3. from what you've described you have one newer on and an older one.
That 'wire locking ring' is normal for the newer model, the way I get them out at work in a timely matter is use a pocket screwdriver on one end to hold it from spinning in the hub and then a hook tool to get under and behind it to pry it out. After a few I can get em out quick, but there are some that are troublesome.
If you buy the even newer Ford model, they have REdesigned them again, the little ramps are stronger and made of new material and are not supposed to break (yah right).
With the chrome cap off looking at the outer hub there should be a date code stamped on them, anything before a certain date in 96 are the junk ones.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Auto-locking Hubs, Brand ID

I have a set of auto locking hubs off a 95 f150, my dad replaced them with superwinch as soon as he got it due to problems with ford auto hus in the past. if you want them email me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode