Power steering box and pump upgrade. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2000, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Power steering box and pump upgrade.

I need to replace my power steering box because it is leaking. I priced a new NAPA one, and it was 190 bucks. I can get a "heavy-duty" box from AGR for 250 bucks. Has anyone used one of these? Also, how does the stock box hold up with 35" tires and trail driving? Check AGR out at www.agrsteering.com. They have HD pumps also, and I may also upgrade it when mine goes out. Thanks in advance for any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2000, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AGR Steering is good.

I just instaled the AGR HD Steering pump and HD gear box. What a difference. They are increadible. Steering is as easy to turn as a Chevy and I run 32" by 12.5" Baja Belted Mickey Thompsons. You will spend some money on power steering fluid though. They require Valvoline Synthetic Blend at $3.50 a quart. System works like a champ and made the best driving improvment on the truck.

Eric tachell

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2000, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cool, Glad to hear your\'e happy with them...

I'm glad to hear someones input besides AGR. They said it was much better than factory, but then again, they're trying to sell a product! I'm not going to upgrade the pump until the factory one goes out. Then I'll probably get one from them also. Thanks again for the input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: AGR Steering is good.

Where did you get the gear box from.

Thanks,

Bravoman

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2000, 06:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: AGR Steering is good.

They're in the 4x4 magazines... Also, See their site.

http://www.agrsteering.com

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Swapping powersteering gearboxes

Installed my new AGR steering box this weekend. Not too difficult except getting the pitman arm off. The axle makes it difficult to get the puller on it. Here's a word of advice. Dissconnect the tierod from the pitman arm, and put the gearbox in a vice and use the pitman arm puller on it. It'll pop right off. Don't even waste time under the truck!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Swapping powersteering gearboxes

Have you ever thought about using a 7$ pitman arm puller?

Bravoman

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bravo-man.... I did... Reread my post!!!

You can't get the puller (at least the one I have) on very good because of the front axle... And also, when you do get it on, you can't get much leverage on it because of the awkward position under the vehicle. We struggled with it for an hour or so, before deciding to take the tierod apart. If something else works or worked for you, cool. Otherwise I'm just telling what worked best for me.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bravo-man.... I did... Reread my post!!!

I'm curious, which front axle do you have? You probably have a good solid one not like my much to be desired TTB. If it weren't for the fact that I just spent money on an Explorer Pro-Comp lift kit I would have swapped the TTB for a solid axle.

Later,

Bravoman

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bravo-man.... I have the TTB...

I love it... Nice ride, Awsome articulation (down-travel in particular). I'm getting ready to lift it to solve the up-travel problem. I don't think it's worth the hassle to switch to an "old-tech" suspension. If you decide you want to switch, email me. I might buy your front lift. I'm creating my own custom reverse shackle set-up in the rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode