My tired motor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2000, 10:57 AM
mudmonger

My tired motor

>>>This post is in regard to an 89 5.0 in my F-150. My engine has been running a little under the weather this winter, so, I thought I should do a code check just for good measure. I got no errors(code 11). I am noticing, recently, a decrease in power after warming up and occasional spark knock under low rpm acceleration. The last time I had spark knock I fixed it by replacing a worn out timing chain(after I wasted a lot of money on the usual causes). Now, I don't know how familiar any of you are with the code test procedure, but, part of it is the Wide Open Throttle(WOT) test. When I did this my engine made a loud rattling spark knock sound that I haven't heard before. I am also noticing a little clicking in the top half of the motor from various locations. Does anyone know what could be wrong? The motor has a touch over 120,000 miles on it and has not been opened for anything other than an oil pump that was weak and replaced. Could the motor be on it's last leg or maybe just the cam is wore down. I have between 20 and 50 pounds of oil pressure after the engine is warmed up(sometimes higher when rpms get excited). I don't notice any knocking from the lower half other than when it is started in extreme cold temps. Any suggestions or recommendations of other test I could do or have done would be great. Thanks in advance for your help. Laters.

NUFF SAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2000, 11:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

May be a couple things

My 302 knocked "pinged" under the same conditions before. I pulled the spark plugs and found an oil-fouled plug. Regapped plugs and cleaned the fouled one, and spark knock was gone. The tapping you're hearing could be either the typical ford rocker/lifter tap, or clogged fuel injectors. Without hearing it, It's tough to tell. Mine has almost the same miles on it, and still runs strong. The only reason I'm going to have to tear into it is the rear main seal is leaking. (Next springs project!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode