As I sit around and dream up ways to spend all my money on my new baby (78 Bronco Custom, 400, NP435 Granny 4-Sp.), I've come up with some questions...
1) Does anyone make a 4.27 (or anything between 4.11 and 4.56) R&P for the Ford 9" rear? The different gear calculators come up with numbers between 4.2 and 4.4 when I plug my numbers in (stock tires= 29, current tires= 35, current ratio= 3.50).
2) Any experiences with a spool vs. a locker? I've pretty much decided on a Detroit Sof Locker in the rear and Truetrac in the front, but there's an article in 4 Wheel & Off Road saying that spools are simpler, stronger, cheaper and easier to live with. I've never driven with a locker, but I hear you can get whipped around pretty good on the highway when accelerating out of a coast.
3) Does anyone make anything other than the standard nerf bars for the Big Bronco? I've seen several high-strength "boulder bars" for Jeeps, and I'm going to fab a copy of one of them if no one makes 'em for us.
4) I have a Comp Cam with .519 Lift and 270 Duration...how bad is this going to affect me at low RPM on the rocks? I know gears are the first answer to building around it, but what else should I take into consideration? The 400 only has 5K on the rebuild, so I'm not going to swap the cam.
5) Which carb is considered best on the rocks, at those neat angles? I currently have a 600 cfm Holley 4 BBL on an Edelbrock Performer intake.
6) What are the major benefits of a full-floating rearend? How high on the buildup list should I put it?
Thanks for helping me figure out where to spend all my money!