What Urethane Bushings? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-1999, 01:37 PM
mudmonger

What Urethane Bushings?

>>>Well, it's time for another upgrade(darn it). I have decided that all the old rubber bushings have to go. This is for my 89 F-150. Has anyone installed the whole kit type deal. From body mounts to suspension. I found a kit made by Prothane that I like and I will have the body off soon for a body lift, so, now is the time for new "bushens". I would like to hear from anyone that has any opinion or advice on urethane bushings. Things like-did it affect wheel travel?, did it improve on highway handling?, or was it a rougher ride without the rubber body bushings? Hope someone knows something and thankyou for your time. Laters.

NUFF SAID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-1999, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What Urethane Bushings?

I know a lot of guys who decided to swap their body mount rubber bushings for polyurethane bushings...and they all regreted it. Apparently, they think that the benifits (if any) of polyurethane are not worth the crappy ride. I called a local shop here in Houston called Off Road Unlimited because I wanted to do the same thing, and they said to keep the rubber ones. I'm sure those poly bushings are great for other applications, just not at the body mounts.

ROland

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2000, 10:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I\'d probably stay away from them

I'd stick with rubber body mounts. They will flex more in the twisty's and will less likely break the bolts, or bend sheetmetal. This is more of a problem on Broncos though. Your be can twist seperately from the cab in your truck. Actually, my brother had a 3" body lift on his s-10, and the bed mounts kept breaking or loosening. He hated them! So, maybe it would be a problem for you also. As far as suspension, I've only had poly bushings in a 82 Mustang. I can say that they definately stiffened the ride, and were noisy. I won't put them in my current mustang. Not for a frequently driven vehicle anyway. Maybe if it was strictly a race car I would. As far as suspension on a trail truck, I bet that the suspension wouldn't flex as goood with poly's either. Keeping it stiff on the road would also keep it stiff off road. I wonder if any magazine have done RTI tests before and after a poly bushing swap. That would be interesting! Bet the after would be worse!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2000, 10:24 AM
mudmonger

>>>>Thanks alot for the input guys. Sounds like I will be staying away from the body bushings for sure. I don't see a lot of trails since all we have in Ohio are mostly tight wooded trails cut by Jeeps(a little to tight for a truck), so, I might try the urethane radius arm bushings(only $14) just for kicks. Thanks again to both of you. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2000, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes poly bushing are noisy and may stiffen the ride but they are far more durable than your rubber bushings
polyurethane bushings will not wear out! I have them in my '79 Bronco and I love them (I don't have them for body mounts though)
If you can try to get the greasable kind of poly bushings so this will eliminate the "squeking" sound that bothers so many other drivers
personally I could care less.

Only Little Boys Wear Bowties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode