automatic tranny question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

automatic tranny question

hi I am going to be putting an automatic tranny into my 81 bronco. It currently has a 4 speed 3 with overdrive. it has 350 gears 35 inch tires and i just rebuilt the engine, 300 inline with the clifford 4 bbl intake, cam and headers. first will the flexplate from a 302 work I heard no. I know a flywheel for a standard won't but not sure on the flexplate for an auto. next i have the choice of an a4od out of an 85 with the borgwarner t case or an 84 c-6 with the new process. which is better. I will be towing a trailer sometimes and tend to do a lot of highway driving. also what stall rating should i buy for a torque conv. I was thinking 2500. any comments or suggestions would be great. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: automatic tranny question

I would definetly go for the c6, E4OD were not made in 85 the only 4spd auto for a truck was the AOD and for towing or high tourqe engines they will not last. The C6 is for a lack of words bullitproof. With 3.55 gears and 35" tires your RPMs won't be too high.
For a converter, go with a lower range somewhere in the 1800's especially for off roading, 2500 is really too high for a 4x4 but It's your choice and thats only my 2 cents.
The C6 also is cheaper to rebuild and parts are everywhere.

Ford guy with twin rockcrawling Samurai's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode